CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   getting the power commander tuned (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/getting-power-commander-tuned-132040/)

Nsoley1974 11-02-2011 10:15 AM

getting the power commander tuned

I know there is a bunch of threads that are similiar on here but this mobile version isn't easy to search them.

Does anyone know a better way of tuning my power commander other than taking it to a place that does it. The closest place to me is over two hundred miles away and wanted $400.00 to tune it. I purchased a full jardine system that I found out later was actually for an f4. Fits pretty good other than a few minor things and I have been messing with the power commander all summer trying to get it to stop backfiring. Was pretty good but still does it and the throttle is very hesitant when its cold. I have found a couple tutorials on tuning but nothing that great. I am tempted to pull the exhaust back off and get something that actually has a map already out there for it.

kazspeed 11-02-2011 10:42 AM

Your options are to teach yourself how to map it, go on a local forum to find someone who knows what they are doing and throw them a six-pack for helping out, or shell out the dough.

Is the pc doing more harm than good? Have you ever run the exhaust without the pc?

Nsoley1974 11-02-2011 11:08 AM

Yes it is worse without it. It is a very free flowing exhaust. The thing I don't like about the exhaust is that all the pieces are held together with springs and the portion right under the engine seems to back out every once in a while which I am going to make a bracket something similar to the stock one for more support. But if I can't find anyone way up north here to help I am selling it. Cuz its driving me crazy.

kazspeed 11-02-2011 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nsoley1974 (Post 1110873)
The thing I don't like about the exhaust is that all the pieces are held together with springs and the portion right under the engine seems to back out every once in a while

Yeah that is definitely not suppose to happen.

Was this exhaust purchased used?

My 2 cents....sell this for what you can get and buy an exhaust that doesnt have the backfiring issue.

I run a full erion exhaust on mine and there is no need for a pc.

To pay $400 to tune a pc for an exhaust that has issues doesnt seem worth it to me.

Nsoley1974 11-02-2011 11:36 AM

It was a new exhaust and when I say it backs out not enough for it to leak but just alittle edge support there would help as it seems like many of the full exhausts don't have a bracket where the stock header did. It sounds amazing except for the backfiring on some of the downshifting. I will just keep messing with it. The kerker full exhaust map was the closest and I have just been watching what rpm's the back fires are occurring and adjusting.

CJardine 11-02-2011 08:25 PM

well if you end up selling it PM me Ive got an F4 and am looking into buying a set of headers and maybe a slip-on as well. Where did you buy the full system? Otherwise I hope you figure it out and get your PC tuned.

Nsoley1974 11-03-2011 09:16 AM

I will keep in touch and let you know. There is a member that has this same system on his F4. I purchased it from a Honda dealer in Colorado. He wasn't for sure what it was for so I emailed jardine and the verified it was for an F4. It was new when I received it and put it on this summer.

RoadiJeff 11-03-2011 10:53 AM

Couldn't you just add the auto-tune module to your PCV? I wouldn't think it would cost as much as the $400 the shop wants plus the 400 mile round trip to have it done.

Nsoley1974 11-04-2011 07:35 AM

I didn't realize they had one, I will do some looking into that. I think I am also going to get some new springs and do a bit of adjusting on it as well so the piece under the motor stays good and tight. With all the researching and help here I think there is a small leak in one of the connections and it needing a appropriate map.

Nsoley1974 11-04-2011 07:59 AM

Can that be used with a power commander III usb. The website only mentions the power commander V.