F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Getting new rear tires for my F4I please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting new rear tires for my F4I please help

Hello all my F4I is in need of new tires! rear tire is really going bald buy the front is still good! anyway I went to a Yamaha Dealership that is close by and its like $52 for them to mount it. I asked them their cheapest set and he said $175 dollars. Now I saw really good prices on tires in Ebay! now is it okay to put a different brand for my rear tire? I am not going to change the front yet because the thread is thick! I have seen this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Miche...Q5fAccessories
It is a Medium Soft compound and IDK what that is, and this is another http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-R...item20b10bd75e
They seem like really good tires and I am planning to get one, what is your advice on this? My old stock tires BTW are Micheline power radials. I am thinking of buying the Michelin or the Radial Edge but IDK if it will affect the bike being different brands!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilInDisguise
Hello all my F4I is in need of new tires! rear tire is really going bald buy the front is still good! anyway I went to a Yamaha Dealership that is close by and its like $52 for them to mount it. I asked them their cheapest set and he said $175 dollars. Now I saw really good prices on tires in Ebay! now is it okay to put a different brand for my rear tire? I am not going to change the front yet because the thread is thick! I have seen this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Miche...Q5fAccessories
It is a Medium Soft compound and IDK what that is, and this is another http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-R...item20b10bd75e
They seem like really good tires and I am planning to get one, what is your advice on this? My old stock tires BTW are Micheline power radials. I am thinking of buying the Michelin or the Radial Edge but IDK if it will affect the bike being different brands!
The tires you have there from ebay are race tires?
Is that what your looking for?
They will have lots of grip when warm but will not last long at all.
I have Pilot Power 2ct's and I would recommened them.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:00 PM

Kk well man I dont want to race or anything. Its just a commuter tire. I want a tire that will last long but I want to buy it online because I feel the tires on the dealership are over priced and I believe they are for the track. Can you give me examples of like a sport touring tire?

Old 02-15-2011, 07:13 PM

Kk well man I dont want to race or anything. Its just a commuter tire. I want a tire that will last long but I want to buy it online because I feel the tires on the dealership are over priced and I believe they are for the track. Can you give me examples of like a sport touring tire?
Maybe like a pilot road?
Here is the michelin chart:

Name:  pilotchartlger.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  35.8 KB

Old 02-15-2011, 07:17 PM

if youre looking for a commuter tire, check out the pirelli angels. They currently have one of the best tread ratings.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:33 PM

Would it matter though that my ront tires are Micheline and I will get a different brand for the rear?

Old 02-15-2011, 07:48 PM

Would it matter though that my ront tires are Micheline and I will get a different brand for the rear?
You are supposed to keep kinda the same tire on front and back.
IMO, not sure though but as long as you keep the same style of tire (Sport or touring) on then I don't think there would be much of a problem but if you have a touring tire on the front and a race tire on the back you might be asking for trouble.
Not 100% sure, just my opinion

Old 02-15-2011, 11:57 PM

If your a commuter mostly then having matching tires isn't a big deal. I have had mismatched tires on my bike tons of time and never had an issue. If you were doing track days and actually racing then i would recommend having matching tires. But even then only if you were actually considering youself hardcore racer!!! Check out bike bandit, they have some of the best prices out there. And Pirellies are good tires but expensive. I do like them, especially if I was gonna be racing. I have become a fan and so have my friends of the shinkos. Yes they have had a lot of bad reviews in the past, but thats because they are new and people that reviewed em never used em. If you want a lot of miles, the Shinkos 009 ravens are a great commuter tire. I got 14k plus miles on my last rear tire. If you want a slightly softer compound go with the 005's my buddy loved them. My buddy also took his to the track and loved em. They are great commuter tires for in town and awesome in the canyon. I have 009's on my 02 F4i and 005's on my 07 CBR. My buddy also took his to the track and loved em. And that did include a lot of canyon carving. I went from pirellies to shinkos. And i wouldn't go back. yes I loved pirellies but I have had no issues with the shinkos whatsoever. The harder compound does take longer to warm up but that is normal with any harder compound that you use. I have used everytire out there imaginable. Yes there are other good tires out there, for the price, I love the shinkos. Even with the 009's I can scrape my pegs going around a corner at 90 plus miles an hr with no issues or fear. Its your money and only you know best how you ride!!!!

Old 02-16-2011, 07:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

However... if your front tire is the original tire... on an 02, you probably want to go ahead and replace that one too.

9 years on a tire will do a lot, even if it's still got low miles and lots of tread.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 AM

i ride michelin pilot power 2cts and love them. you can get the whole set for $221 shipped on motorcycle superstore

Quick Reply: Getting new rear tires for my F4I please help