F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

General questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General questions

Hello to everybody and greetings from Spain!!!

This is my first post, and I would like to tell you my "little sad" experience of the past months.

I owned a suzuki bandit for 2 years, several years ago, and this past winter I was able to return to the bike world after a couple of years without bike.
I bought a very ,very used CBR 1000 f that in the end resulted to have a very damaged engine. Finally I decided to sell it to a mechanic (giving proper advice,of course) friend of mine who is repairing it at present.
Then, in february I bought a 7 year old VFR 800 FI from a dealer. The bike has only given me headakes: warped discs, voltage regulator problems, neutral switch failure. All of them repaired under dealer warranty. But I missed the in-line 4 engine smoothness that I had on my previous bike, because I didnĀ“t get used to the roughtness of the V4 (althought great torque) .

So, I have decided to give the VFR back to the dealer and buy a brand new red and black CBR 600 f, that I am about to receive in a couple of days.

The bike model was chosen as I need to go to work every day with her and it is necessary for me to be able to carry my wife on weekends. This bike seems to cope well.

The questions I wanted to cast are:
1.- Which are the proper suspension settings for this bike (single pilot, passenger, street, hard street,track use)? I know the general way of setting up suspensions for a bike but I like to know your experience on the CBR 600 f.

2.- What about wind protection? Is it worthwhile to install a double bubble?.

3.- Which are the best rules for a proper break in period (rpm limits,etc...)? and how long does it last?

4.- Any tricks,tips will be appreciated.

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks in advance.

Javier.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Default RE: General questions

I'm assuming that you're talking about an 2006 F4i? Here's in the states, there's either a 600 F4i or a 600 RR, no plain F model.
I really can't say about the suspension set up and I don't carry passengers, but I'm heavier at 230-240 and mine is set up pretty stiff / hard and it works great for me.
I have an '06 F4i and as for the break in, just take it easy for the first 500 miles or so. I didn't take mine past like 7-8000 rpms and kept the speed at or below 70 mph. Also, avoid rapid acceleration and full throttle.
It isn't required, but I changed the oil at 250 miles, then again at the 600 mile interval, just to clear out any possible metal shavings from machining at the factory, just with the honda GN4 oil with filter. I now have 1500 miles on it and have changed over to the HP4 honda synthetic oil.
Don't do that 'hard' break in stuff either, just go easy on it and let the engine internals seat properly under a light load such as normal non-agressive riding.
I have the factory windscreen on mine, but would like to upgrade to the double bubble at some point. The factory one is great, but at highway speeds, the wind knocks you around a little. Not too bad though.
Good luck and enjoy it, you'll love it! Also, post pics when you get it home!

Old 04-09-2006, 08:50 PM

i hate the stock windscreen it is a bitch. after 60mph which should be around 110kph for you , you will start to get nasty drafts of wind in your face. I would go with an aftermarket windscreen if you want comfort . As far as breaking in a motorcycle goes >>> visit this

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Old 04-10-2006, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the replies,

and yes, the bike is a F4i (600 F plain in Europe).

Anybody could tell me something about suspension settings?

Regarding the double bubble, I thing I will go for it, not only for wind force protection, but also for noise althoght I allways wear ear plugs. Do you D/B people notice diference in noise?

As far as I can see there are 2 different ways of doing the break in. I will think about it and let you know.

Repeating what I said in my first post, any maintenance and hanling typs will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Javier.