CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   General Brake Questions (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/general-brake-questions-101828/)

Da11en47 10-05-2009 04:36 PM

General Brake Questions

I bought my bike from a friend, 2005 F4i.

There are 14,500 miles on it. It still has the original brake pads and fluid, I believe.

The brake pads look like they have plenty of wear left on them, especially the front. How long do they usually last? I mostly drive on the freeway; commuting.

Also should the brake fluid be drained occasionally and replaced? Or should it be replaced when I get new brakes, which I am hoping I can do myself eventually.

How much are they generally (front, rear)?

Should they both be replaced simultaneously or can they be replaced when needed?

Thanks.

rolandk 10-05-2009 06:44 PM

Brake pad life varies greatly depending on how hard you use them (I know, file under 'duh' but its really true).

Checking the pads is very easy: remove the 2 caliper mounting bolts, pull the calipers out and look at the groove down the middle of the pads. When the groove is gone or getting close its time for new pads. Also a really good idea to replace the fluid too.

Front pads are ~$100 a set for primo race pads, not sure about street pads but they are probably a little less. When you say 'replace both' if you mean front and rear, no you don't have to replace them at the same time. You do have to replace both front sets at the same time though. If you don't have a service manual already, do a google search and you can download it for free.

abeer1 10-06-2009 12:38 AM

Try a set of Vesrah RJL's whenever you do get a new set of pads, you won't be dissapointed.

Berto 10-06-2009 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Da11en47 (Post 844942)
I bought my bike from a friend, 2005 F4i.

There are 14,500 miles on it. It still has the original brake pads and fluid, I believe.

The brake pads look like they have plenty of wear left on them, especially the front. How long do they usually last? I mostly drive on the freeway; commuting.

Also should the brake fluid be drained occasionally and replaced? Or should it be replaced when I get new brakes, which I am hoping I can do myself eventually.

How much are they generally (front, rear)?

Should they both be replaced simultaneously or can they be replaced when needed?

Thanks.

You can get a set of EBC HH brake pads--good combination for street and track from Bike Bandit for $35 a pair. You need to two pairs. Replace on condition, not time. The stock pads have wear grooves to estimate remaining pad life.

Similarly, replace rear on condition, if you even use the rear brake.

Flushing and changing the fluid is a good idea. If you live in a humid place, once a year is about right. If dry, I dunno...maybe every two years. Brake fluid is hydroscopic and will pick up moisture, greatly reducing its effectiveness and increasing the chances of corrosion and other smut getting into the system.

Once you've got the tools and done it a couple of times, brake fluid changes are easy. I notice a big difference in brake performance right after the flush. Front brakes are probably the most important safety component on the bike. They need the most attention.

--Paul

boredandstroked 10-07-2009 09:58 AM

Replace brake fluid every 2 years, replace pads when nessacary. Don't remove the calipers to check, you can just look at them while still in place, plus your supposed to replace the caliper bolts every time you remove them [99% of people don't]