F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Gear shifter cluster, how to remove??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear shifter cluster, how to remove??

well i got a chrome gear shifter cluster for my 02 f4i un-bolted it from the frame but got stuck when it came down to takeing the acual shifting rod out of its housing, it looked to be in a joint/ball pivot houseing that looke impossible to get it. Im new to f4i's so flame all you want. What can i do to remove it so i can put my shiney new chrome cluster on?

Old 11-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Default RE: Gear shifter cluster, how to remove??

the shift rod just spins off. behind the rearset where the shifter actually connects to is a metal ring. i just used a pair of needle nose pilers and stuck its inbetween the opening and spread it off.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:15 AM

i sorta know what your talking about, but i spun it like a ball bearing, all around and in every direction. What do you mean by spread? You spread the metal, how in the hell?? pics would be nice im guessing if i can get some or someone else could

Old 11-19-2007, 01:41 AM

its a ring thats shaped like a C you stick it inbetween like C< then open the pliers so the ring opens

Old 11-19-2007, 09:41 AM

Hey guy, Take a look at this picture! I just had to replace my pedal because I dropped the bike and it broke off. Anyhow do it in these steps, hope it makes sense.

1. Once you have the rearset removed from the bike; loosen the bolt in the picture. But only loosen it don't take it all the way off because you will need it to stop in the same spot when you re attach new footpedal.
2. Un-screw the rear set from the shift rod. Note: Remove the heal shield because it gets in the way.
3. Now the rearset should be removed from the bike, Simply remove the c-ring holding the shift pedal to the rear set (see Picture) and it will slide right off. Note: Buy some c-ring pliers, trust me it's worth the $15 investment. Or you can hope the ringdoesn't go flying across your garage.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:59 AM

wow thank you for the pic and comment. I really appreciate it. So i got the shifting assembly off right? Well what i need is the ball bearing piece to come out so i can put my new chrome shifter in/on the stock bearing. I can put my new chrome cluster in sure, but i would have no shifter becuase the shifter had to be chromed by itself and then hooked back up. So i have two pieces, the shifter, and then the assembly, i need the stock ball bering configuraton to come off and go on my new chrome assembly

Old 11-20-2007, 09:01 AM

Once you have the shifting assembly off you just remove the c-ring (see picture) and the shift pedal will slide out. It's all one piece!! The ball bearing is not intended to come off the pedal. Your new pedal should have the pedal and attached to the pedalis the ball bearing and at the end of the ball bearing you have the threaded rubber piece that threads back onto your shift rod. Your new pedal should have a big hole on the top of it and that's the piece you slide back onto the shifting assembly. Put the c-ring back on (ring pliers) and rethread the assembly back onto the shift rod and re attach the assembly back on the bike and you should be good to roll.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:06 PM

thats just it, my chrome pedal does not have the ball bearing piece attached to it

Old 11-23-2007, 07:25 PM

lil help?

Old 11-26-2007, 10:30 AM

The only thing I can think of is you probably bought the wrong one. As far as I know all the F4 and F4i's are the same.

Quick Reply: Gear shifter cluster, how to remove??