F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Gear indicator Question once again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear indicator Question once again!

alright, i have looked up and down trying to find a site that says whether or not you can put these gear indicators on our bikes. I have seen F4i's with them but they usually had to go into alot of work to get them to work. Does anyone know of the easiest way to instal one of these. Also does anyone know of a plug in model. Im just trying to find things to buy for the bike but keep changing my mind on what i want to get. thanks guys

Old 05-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Default RE: Gear indicator Question once again!

No plug in model man. Ive been seraching them too, gotta splice a few wires. The part alone costs about a $150 bucks. Might end up buying one, looking at all the diagrams and there parts and see if can come up with something from radioshack and other electronics store and make the same thing for about half the cost. But then you have to find some way to program the gear indicator. I personally think it would look much cooler with bar of lights that sits under instrument cluster and a different one lights up depending on the gear your in, like the older bikes suzukis and harleys had. Ill keep posting to this thread to see what i can come up with or find.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:56 PM

yea, hopefully someone will come up with a way for these things to work on our bikes because i really want one. the only thing is that i dont wanna go nuts with having to splice a ton of wires and that kinda thing.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:07 AM

There is no way, unless you wire up sensors to your tranny or shifter. What most of them do is Take the pulse signals from the tach and the speedo and compare them. Its a ratio thing. So thats why they lag and some get confused. You could make your own with a programmable chip and some electronic componenets. It will cost you 50+ for the chip alone plus the time to program it and program what ever you want for a display.

IMO for 150, the works done for you. Just splice the wires and go.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:02 PM

i dont know if this is the same as the indicator you guys are talking about for $150, but on 58cycle.com they sell them for 80 bucks plus shipping.

http://store.58cycle.com/product_p/digitool.htm

saving 70 bucks up front might sway your decision a little, make it worth the time to wire it up

Old 05-11-2006, 12:59 AM

yea thats actually what i had been looking at

Old 05-16-2006, 07:21 PM

gear indicator

I found this one on ebay wich looks really good and you can chooses the colors. I heard it was really easy to install

Old 05-16-2006, 09:51 PM

Damn, that's a pretty cool idea. I didn't know they existed.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:33 AM

where did you guys with the indicators placed your little box indicator at? got pics?

I dont know where i should stick mine at. on the f4i's

Old 10-12-2006, 12:02 PM

I always having a bunch of individual leds would be sweet but never could figure out how to make it work right.

Quick Reply: Gear indicator Question once again!