CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   gear grind neutral to first (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/gear-grind-neutral-first-122598/)

cnguyen 03-18-2011 01:18 PM

gear grind neutral to first

My gear will grind (sometimes, not all the time) when I go into first from neutral. It will grind as it engages first -- it does not pop out or anything. Can you tell me what this means? Thanks in advance!

Dragondima 03-18-2011 01:45 PM

The two obvious answers would be:

1.) you're clutch is letting go before you're in gear causing the grinding

2.) your transmission's first gear is busted.

It's easier to test #1, adjust your clutch cable so your clutch is tight. Engage your clutch 100% and shift to first. If it still grinds, you'll have to figure out whether it's clutch or transmission.

Maybe make a video of the noise. Sometimes you can hear it's distinctly the first gear.

Good luck!

Sick97SS 03-18-2011 02:58 PM

Make sure you're giving it a good kick into first, or any gear for that matter. Sissy shifts will give you problems such as false neutral and grinding gears.

600F4inoober 03-18-2011 04:46 PM

Welcome to the F4i gearbox....Long throws and grindy loud shifts! Even when done perfectly!

Comes and go's but normally its clunky by design.

N to 1rst is esp long and as said before DO NOT PISSY FOOT shifts on this bike. Firm fast shifts and preloading the shifter are key to this gearbox...

Enjoy! And remember, you cant really be TOO firm on the shifts so smack them shifts with authority:icon_wink:

PS-I got flamed on making this observation so beware! (even though the sticky says early year honda gearboxs are clunky by design)

I'm not going to worry about it until my dogs start going and shes popping out of gear...then goes a rebuild with pro shift star:)

Rippin6Gears 03-19-2011 12:15 AM

Hmmm pro shift star for a rebuild? Might have to do some research, I have almost 35k miles and who knows when the tranny or clutch packs are going to be changed.

MadHattr059 03-19-2011 07:30 AM

Check the clutch cable play, especially if it's a new issue. Should only be an 1/8 of an inch or so of slack, any more and you are not fully disengaging the clutch. Also check that the cable is not frayed or worn, might be stretching and, again, not fully diengaging the clutch. Also check where your toe shift lever is adjusted to, if you are stretching to make the shifts, you are going to make sloppy shifts. Sometimes, a seemingly small adjustment in the ergonomics, will make a hugh difference in the ease of use. In a similar vein, I had too much slop in my the return cable on my THROTTLE, which lead to a difficulty in shifting/ accelerating smoothly.

demon87 03-20-2011 06:21 AM

all i can say is like everyone else says put some muscle in your shifting. I bought my 02 f4i with 9k on it and had to replace the clutch because it was slipping and wouldnt go into gear. I popped the cover off and holy F**K! this guy didnt know what he was doing. So make sure you change your oil and dont be afraid to pop tht cover off and have a look. depending on how many miles you have you may want to look into a clutch kit. I used the EBC organic and heavyer springs. it shifts easyer and better on and off the track. better then my buddys brand new cbr600! hope this helps.