F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Gauge Cluster Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Cluster Issue

Okay, guys, this one is driving me nuts. I've searched through the forums and found somewhat similar issues, but without the same root cause.

My 01 600f4i currently runs perfectly, but after I left it out in a heavy rainstorm one day, the gauge cluster stopped working, and the clock froze.

What Works:
  • LED Back Lighting
  • All Status Lights

What Doesn't Work
  • Main LCD Screen (does not display, or self test at all)
  • Tach (does not self test or show revs)
  • Temp Gauge (does not display)

What I've Tried
  • Checked all fuses, all good
  • Checked voltage at fuse box, all good
  • Hooked up a known working cluster, same behavior
  • Hooked up a known working ECU, same behavior
  • Tested battery, ground, sensor ground, and ignition wires at cluster, all good
  • Tested vehicle speed sensor, all good
  • Tested rectifier, all good
  • Checked and cleaned all wire harness connections, found minimal corrosion, but now all good

None of these changed the behavior one bit. I've got a copy of the service manual, and I've been trying to trace wires one by one, and I'm a loss. If anyone has any great ideas, I'd love to hear them. I was unable to check the engine pulse sensor, as I don't have a max voltage meter. It's also worth stating the bike runs absolutely beautifully right now, and the electrical sits over 14 volts when running.

If you think it'd be helpful, I can upload video of the gauge behavior when I get home tonight. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Old 10-17-2016, 08:20 PM

Should I post this in the General Tech forum instead??

Old 10-18-2016, 12:31 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe.. Sorry I can't be of help I'm an absolute dunce with electricals. They can be a huge pain, sometimes they only thing to do is go over everything with a fine comb. Sounds like the rain shorted something out? The only thing I can add is (if you haven't already ofc) to check fuses w/ a multimeter, because sometimes visually they look fine but they're not. If you already did that, ignore this haha

Old 10-18-2016, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by SunBlue
Maybe.. Sorry I can't be of help I'm an absolute dunce with electricals. They can be a huge pain, sometimes they only thing to do is go over everything with a fine comb. Sounds like the rain shorted something out? The only thing I can add is (if you haven't already ofc) to check fuses w/ a multimeter, because sometimes visually they look fine but they're not. If you already did that, ignore this haha
I did test the fuses with a meter, and tested the leads on either side of the fuse to make sure there wasn't a voltage drop across it. All tested good. Thanks though, appreciate a reply.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:10 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds like its getting power but no info from the bike if that makes sense. Unfortunatley I also do not know electrical enough to be helpfull

Old 10-22-2016, 11:13 AM

Bump with link to video.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:10 PM

there's no way its' 'a data wire' since they're isolated. you'd lose temp, tach, speed, not all three.

it's power almost for sure

power comes in three places

one for illumination (we know you have that)

then one for key switched power (we know you have that)

then one for constant power

are you sure the constant power wire is live?

Old 10-23-2016, 08:20 PM

Tested the constant first, and has 12.8 volts at all times. I agree, that makes the most sense, as the clock doesn't even light up, which should come on the second the thing has power. Think it's possible that power is getting sent elsewhere when plugged in? Some sensor grounding out or something? Feel like it would have to be the engine pulse that runs that tach...but I've even disconnected the engine sub harness by the idle adjuster entirely, and its still not firing up. Sorry for the stream of consciousness, just writing it down to think it out.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:15 PM

maybe i'll unplug some crap from my bike to see what causes the symptom you're experiencing.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by rfesu
maybe i'll unplug some crap from my bike to see what causes the symptom you're experiencing.
Appreciate you even thinking of going through that trouble. If you do, and come up with something, lemme know and I'll send you an MVP trophy!

Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster Issue