CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Gas smell; startup idle/rev issue (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/gas-smell-startup-idle-rev-issue-129556/)

supersnake83 08-12-2011 05:29 PM

Gas smell; startup idle/rev issue

Hello all,

So, I've been on this forum for a while and have been searching all over and can't seem to find the answer to these two questions.

1. What can cause me (or what is causing me) to smell like gas when I am around my bike when I start it up/riding/or revving the engine?

2. When I start my bike from a completely cold start, I can't rev the engine right away. (if I rev the engine, it will bog down and seem like it's choking). After about 30 seconds, I can rev the engine fine.

Now, I've read that a bad FPR could cause both issues, so I replaced my FPR. I've read that my air filter could possibly cause issue # 2, so I replaced my air filter.

I change my oil regularly (every 3 months or so, during the riding season).

My bike only has around 4500 miles on it. I also get around 27 MPG.

Any ideas on what could cause these issues?

Thanks for any help/replies.

Edit: If # 2 is normal, then that is fine, I would just like to know.

backyardmechanic 08-12-2011 10:36 PM

sounds like old plugs that are fouled. But other than that a clogged filter in the fuel lines may also be the culpret

Kuroshio 08-12-2011 11:12 PM

Low battery voltage too. A bad battery can cause a weak spark, not fully detonating the fuel .

supersnake83 08-13-2011 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by backyardmechanic (Post 1089673)
sounds like old plugs that are fouled. But other than that a clogged filter in the fuel lines may also be the culpret

I thought about the plugs, but haven't had any other issues related to starting or running, so I ignored that thought. Even at my low miles, could my spark plugs be an issue? If my plugs are fouled, can they be cleaned or is it best just to replace them?

I've read about the fuel filter too, but didn't think it would be a cause to my specific issues. I'll add that to the list of items to be replaced then.

Originally Posted by Kuroshio (Post 1089679)
Low battery voltage too. A bad battery can cause a weak spark, not fully detonating the fuel .

My battery is pretty much on a tender when I am not riding. If I don't ride my bike during the week, I will place the battery on the tender by the third day it has just been sitting. However, I have had an issue when trying to start the bike when the batter was dead. If that caused a weak spark which caused fuel not to detonate which caused my plugs to be fouled, I guess that I'll be replacing my plugs too.

I guess I'm trying to rule out anything greater like a throttle body or carb issue.

I also have a shorty exhaust and don't know if that could cause any issues either.

Could running sea foam through my bike help with anything?

nocturnalsst 08-15-2011 12:40 AM

sounds like my bike. it idles around 600rpm the first 15 seconds of every start-up then after that time is up the rpm jumps to 1500 or so I believe and the FI light comes on. Other than that it runs great wont bog down again until I turn it off so ive just gotten used to the light being on. 4000 miles like this and counting. With the idle that low off the start it does rev up very slow until it hits around 3k rpm

its not going to be fuel, air, or spark issues or the problem wouldn't just disappear and reappear only at start up. Not a likely battery issue either. I've been thinking its a sensor and the bike jumps into a "limbo" mode after 15 seconds and ignores said sensor.

Ideas?

supersnake83 08-15-2011 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by nocturnalsst (Post 1090140)
sounds like my bike. it idles around 600rpm the first 15 seconds of every start-up then after that time is up the rpm jumps to 1500 or so I believe and the FI light comes on. Other than that it runs great wont bog down again until I turn it off so ive just gotten used to the light being on. 4000 miles like this and counting. With the idle that low off the start it does rev up very slow until it hits around 3k rpm

its not going to be fuel, air, or spark issues or the problem wouldn't just disappear and reappear only at start up. Not a likely battery issue either. I've been thinking its a sensor and the bike jumps into a "limbo" mode after 15 seconds and ignores said sensor.

Ideas?

I've read on another forum that my issues could be caused by the ill effects of a bad FPR>>causing the plugs to be fouled.

I'm still going to investigate my issue. I will be ordering some spark plugs and will replace them. I'm more concerned with smelling like gas when I am around my bike when the bike is on. It just seems strange, but again, I've read that fouled plugs could cause gas fumes to lurk.

Now, my FI light doesn't and have never come on except for the normal flash when I am turn the ignition to start. You could definitely have another issue.

Have you replaced your FPR?

supersnake83 08-17-2011 12:08 PM

Anyone know if I could have a gas leak somewhere? or if there are any common gas leak problems associated with the F4i?

Just wondering if I have a gas leak somewhere that I am not noticing.

backyardmechanic 08-17-2011 02:12 PM

not a common problem, but if you had a gas leak then your bike would act different than just smelling gas from the exhaust. Start it up over cardboard and see if you can find any liquid dripping. Remove fairings first.

supersnake83 08-17-2011 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by backyardmechanic (Post 1090898)
not a common problem, but if you had a gas leak then your bike would act different than just smelling gas from the exhaust. Start it up over cardboard and see if you can find any liquid dripping. Remove fairings first.

Ok. Cool. I'll do that this weekend.

Anything else could cause gas smell like that (if coming from exhaust), other than fouled spark plugs and bad FPR?

I just want to find this and solve the problem.

Thanks.

backyardmechanic 08-17-2011 07:24 PM

i stll smell exhaust/gas with my bike and ive replaced both sparks and FPR. I also have a PCIII with a custom map so the smell is the smell of a motorcycle. mixed with oil and road. Its a beautiful smell