F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Gas overflow not draining

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Gas overflow not draining

Hello all,

The area at the top of my gas tank where I guess the overflow gas ends up when the gas tank is topped off (part at the opening of the gas tank) is not draining. The hose that comes down the center of the bike is still there but not releasing the fluid.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

My problem is not that I have gas in that area, its water. I noticed when I put my bike up for the winter and, after washing the bike, a lot of water was around the top of the gas tank and when I sat the bike upright on my stands, most of the water went into the gas. I saw the little hole that is supposed to funnel the water out, but no water was going down.

Any help in getting this fixed would be much appreciated. This can be a mini winter project for me.

Thanks.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you could get access to an air compressor, I'd say blow the clog up from the low end of the tube. Maybe spray some WD-40 down in there, allowing it to soak in and loosen up the debris before hand. Otherwise I'd think pushing a coat hanger carefully down it, and flushing it out with WD might do it.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:01 PM

Thanks Incognito.

I wasn't sure if that drain hole sends the liquid down to under the tank to where the hose would let out the liquid to the ground or if it will put it back into the gas tank.

I will play with this later--closer to when I am ready to ride again.

Thanks again!

Old 05-16-2010, 06:40 PM

So, I finally got around to figuring out what the problem was.

I loosened the rear gas tank bolts and took off the front gas tank bolts to lift the tank, sprayed some compressed air, and the air went through with no problem. When, I put the tank down, I sprayed it again, and similarly, the air came out the bottom.

As soon as I washed my bike, the water got stuck again in the overflow area. So, I used the compressed air to help push the water down. I Still couldn't figure out what the problem was. I then rode the bike and had to refill with gas and I specifically put too much gas in to make it overflow, and the gas wouldn't go down. When I got home, I played around with the rubber hose from the center of the bike for a few minutes and the problem was, when the tank was put back down, the rubber hose got kinked. This is probably what happened well before I took ownership of the bike too. When the tank was removed and put back on, the hose got kinked.

Now water (when it rains or when I wash my bike) goes down the overflow drain properly. This became a problem because when I washed my bike (and subsequently putting the bike in riding position), the water went into the gas tank and caused a problem with starting the bike and when the bike idled.

Everything is like is should be now.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by supersnake83; 05-16-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know the inside diameter of this hose? I lost mine long ago and now i want another..