F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Gas leak after fill up.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas leak after fill up.

big problem. i filled my tank up today and it was leaking gas from a black rubber tube hanging out of the bottom by where the mid-pipe connects to the headers. wtf?!? this is the first time this has happened. it probably leaked out about a half gallon in a constant stream and was still dripping when i left. I need help fast because i pushed it behind the gas station because i didn't want to burst into flames riding it home.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Default RE: Gas leak after fill up.

Thats a overflow tube.. Did you over fill your tank? I'm sure thats all it is.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: .HoUnD.

Thats a overflow tube.. Did you over fill your tank? I'm sure thats all it is.
werd ya would have like 3 overflow tube one right next to another.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:23 PM

i love this post. it gave me a good laugh..
not to dog you or anything like that; but most people would not even get bothered if they saw gas come out from a hose.
if you saw gas leak from the tank or the exhaust and paniced then thats understandable, but a hose?ha

HoUnD. said it best, its an overflow hose for the gas. you will also see gas drip from there time to time and also when the tank is 80% full and its a hot day outside. the pressure will build up and the tank will force some gas out of the hose.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:25 PM

haha i thought the same thing the first time it happened to me. when filling your tank next time, look under the gas cap on the left side. you see that little hole? it goes to the tube. its so that if you get gas into that area of the tank, it will drain and not stay there. one of the other tubes is for radiator coolant overflow i think, and im not sure what the last one is for.
________
Zx14 vs hayabusa

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:03 PM

yea so i guess i'm new to hondas.. I just got the bike. I had a GSXR750 and i filled it almost all the way up many times without it dripping. yea i dunno i syphoned all the gas out and rode it home. I took the tank off and it was coming from one of 2 tubes next to each other *not the send or return* on the bottom of the tank. i'm surprised this is normal?!?! again, i'm a noob to honda but i just wanted to be safe.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:22 PM

**** me. it's still leaking gas and i only put 2 gallons in. i made sure i pushed the gas can way down in to not get any in the top part. i guess all i've got to do now is run it out of gas and take the thing apart. the bike was laid down before by the fat goofy kid that had it before me. maybe something broke inside.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:08 PM

dunno bro.. take it to a dealer. I wouldnt mess with a bike leaking gas. It now does not sound like you just over filled it.

Not sure. Odd for sure.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

funny if ya'll were wrong. yea like hound said get it checked out. seals, hoses... just could be faulty. is in new? had your 6 hun checkup?

Old 09-21-2007, 01:04 AM

it just turned 9 actually. it's an 01. i think i'm gonna take the tank off tomorrow and take it apart. maybe i'll be able to see what the **** is up. Better safe than sorry; if i have to get a new one ebay always has my back. still seems kinda wierd though considering the outside of the tank doesn't even have swirl marks on it.

Quick Reply: Gas leak after fill up.