CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Gas Leak (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/gas-leak-129638/)

vegas_rebel 08-14-2011 10:01 PM

Gas Leak

My bike was leaking some gas from the gasket when I painted it last time (but not before I overhauled it.) When I put it together the first time I used a new gasket, but I bought another new one this time anyway.

I've installed the new gasket, made sure it's seated correctly, torqued down the plate nuts, connected the hoses and made sure they're in good condition, and it still leaks gas.

It seems like the gasket isn't seating properly, but I don't see how that could be. Especially two new ones in a row.

I've done this before, but am I missing something obvious? Should I be putting on some sort of gasket sealer?

Thanks!

supersnake83 08-17-2011 12:07 PM

Just out of curiosity, are you leaking gas from the gasket to the fuel pump?

If so, how did you know you were leaking gas?

I am asking, because this could be my problem too.

vegas_rebel 08-17-2011 12:31 PM

It seems to be, yeah.

I filled it up with gas the other night, and in no time at all it was dripping down. The bike wasn't even started or running, so it couldn't be anything mechanical (I don't think...) leading me to think that it has to be the gasket. Plus it was coming out fairly quickly; it didn't take 20 minutes for there to be a puddle on the ground. Also, the paint underneath the tank near the gasket was stripped by the gas, and I don't think it would do that if it was a problem with the lines (which are fairly new anyway). The gasket seems not to seat on the portion closest to the front of the bike; there's an angle to the tank that the plate and gasket doesn't like to cover.

I bought a tube of Seal All, after researching gas-resistant gasket sealers. I just put a coat on, so I'll let you know in a few days if that fixed it.

supersnake83 08-17-2011 03:28 PM

This seams strange from a gasket. Any idea if the tank has a slight bend or dent where the gasket/fuel pump sits?

Could be small enough that it is causing the issue. I had a similar problem with an oil leak from my oil cooler. There was a depression that was so slight that you couldn't see it unless your face is right next to it. It was easy to feel.

Keep us posted.

vegas_rebel 08-19-2011 04:48 PM

So, I slathered Seal All all over it, gave it about 36 hours to dry (it's supposed to need about 6) and hooked everything back up before I poured a little gas in it.

It still leaks. So, I'm going to take it to the shop because I'm tired of screwing with it.

It could be a bend or dent, snake, but it would have to be -really- small. The CBR pump plate fits strangely on the tank anyway; it's like they didn't give it a flat enough surface to work with. But, it didn't leak before, so it has to be something stupid.

I'll let everyone know when the shop tells me what the problem was.

vegas_rebel 08-28-2011 11:01 AM

So: I took it to the shop and they said the hole was slightly out of alignment, but that they'd seen worse. They suggested I use some permatex black gasket maker and ignore the torque settings, just cranking it down really good.

So I did.

The first time I tried it out it leaked just a tiiiiny amount from one of the nipples on the gasket. So I slathered a bit more permatex around. Seems good so far.

I'm going to try to put my bike back together today and hopefully be riding by tomorrow if all goes well.

oxyg3ne 08-28-2011 12:10 PM

i had the same problem.. so i sanded around to hole to make sure it is on metal.. and it was fine with a new gasket.. i bought 2 just in case lol