CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Fuel reserve bars? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/fuel-reserve-bars-136974/)

lewisF4i 04-18-2012 10:02 AM

Fuel reserve bars?

Ok, I have an 03 f4i with about 6k on it. I've owned it for 2 months and 1500 miles. I am still confused how exactly the reserve fuel lights work. I thought that the tank held about 4.8 gal. But even after my reserve has gone down to 1 bar, when I fill up I only put about 3.3 gal in and it's full. Shouldn't this mean i still have 1.5 gal left in my tank? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

nickp123 04-18-2012 06:43 PM

I mean technically yeah but I could never get 4 gallons into my f4i either. Even when my tank was practically empty too. I never thought twice about it though, just rode it till it was empty then filled it up till it was at that bar.

beefnewdohbow 04-22-2012 02:54 PM

Never got more than 4 in my tank. And that's when I rode with all 4 bars of the reserve light blinking. Someone in another post insisted that the fuel reserve light starts at 4 solid lights, then each bar starts blinking consecutively, then when all 4 bars are blinking, they disappear one by one until youre down to basically nothing but a fuel light. I've always been able to easily get to 4 blinking bars but never once have i had the blinking bars start going away. And ive ridden quite a bit with the 4 blinkers. I'm afraid of finding out the hard way.

I do know the reserve tank holds .9 gallons.

When you say your reserve light goes down to 1 bar, do you mean 1 solid bar or 1 blinking bar?

joelluing 04-26-2012 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by beefnewdohbow (Post 1152551)
Never got more than 4 in my tank. And that's when I rode with all 4 bars of the reserve light blinking. Someone in another post insisted that the fuel reserve light starts at 4 solid lights, then each bar starts blinking consecutively, then when all 4 bars are blinking, they disappear one by one until youre down to basically nothing but a fuel light. I've always been able to easily get to 4 blinking bars but never once have i had the blinking bars start going away. And ive ridden quite a bit with the 4 blinkers. I'm afraid of finding out the hard way.

I do know the reserve tank holds .9 gallons.

When you say your reserve light goes down to 1 bar, do you mean 1 solid bar or 1 blinking bar?

yeah thats incorrect, i had the great experience of pushing my bike into a parking lot the first night i got it. when all the bars start blinking you only have a short distance until it starts sputtering and then your pushing.

Wizzle 05-26-2012 01:43 AM

I don't have a fuel gauge so idk
I just fill up and ride, have had to switch to reserve tank twice.
Once after having to pull off road. So I try not to get low enough to even hit reserve anymore.

Scott91370 10-11-2012 09:23 PM

Mine (2002) goes:
4 solid lights
4th light blinks, then goes out
3rd light blinks, then goes out
2nd light blinks, then goes out
1st light blinks, then goes out
Then all 4 blink and you run out of gas - happened just the other day execpt I didn't run out (but a couple years ago I did). I was only able to get 3.7 in it the other day.

Jeffy_2010 10-12-2012 09:16 AM

Alright guys I have done a lot of playing around with this myself, and you don't hit your reserve Aka your last .9 gallons untill all 4 bars are flashing, I constantly run mine with 4 bars flashing. I just always keep track of how many miles I have left on my trip meter and keep the front end down to use less gas lol hope this helps

Aken 10-12-2012 04:38 PM

I'm pretty sure Honda changed the way the fuel bars work at some point, because there are so many conflicting stories about this. It doesn't help that the manual doesn't state how it works, either.

Mine start solid, then they start to blink (top to bottom), then after all four are blinking, they start disappearing. I've been meaning to get this on video for a while, but I'm always out riding when I need to fill up, so I forget / don't care.

Aken 10-12-2012 04:40 PM

Oh, btw, the F4i has a 4.8 gallon tank TOTAL. There is a 0.9 gallon reserve (which starts roughly around when the lights come on), and about 0.9 gallons below that, which is meant to keep the fuel pump from starving when you lean the motorcycle during turns. I think the most I've added was 4.1 gallons or something like that.

omg209 10-12-2012 10:02 PM

i only see 4 bars blink. when that happens i go fill up and get about 3.8 gallons.
i have NEVER seen any of the bars completely dissapear.
and yea you should have .9 gallons left when all 4 bars are blinking