CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Fuel pump won't prime (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/fuel-pump-wont-prime-156386/)

William Sprague 07-27-2017 05:18 AM

Fuel pump won't prime

Hey guys, I have a 01 CBR 600 f4i, I bought a new tank with a fuel pump assembly and I hooked everything back the way it was....and my fuel pump still won't engage...but the bike tries to start. I have all the lights on the dash coming on for example: the FI light,The indicator next to the FI light as well as the neutral LED light.... I have not tried to jump the pump due to I don't know how and I have the fear of messing something up. For warn the previous owner completely Jimmy rigged everything so bad that my tail lights weren't even spliced properly just stripped enough, to wrap it around and electrical taped around. SMH I don't know where the TIP sensor, or the clutch, kickstand, or kill switch wires are. So if someone wants to help me by pointing me in the right direction I'd appreciate it greatly.

sjona2011 07-28-2017 05:04 PM

It's your tip sensor, either not working or PO screwed it up somehow. Side stand and kill switches won't let you crank the engine at all. Tip sensor is mounted to the headlight assembly

William Sprague 07-28-2017 05:09 PM

Are you sure it would be the tip over sensor? How sure are you....

sjona2011 07-29-2017 07:30 AM

im sure enough that it'd be worth the 5 minutes to pull the upper fairing off to check it.
Mine did the same thing when i took the street fairings off to install track fairings. re-installed the sensor and boom, she fired.

William Sprague 07-30-2017 04:24 PM

Not tip sensor

Originally Posted by sjona2011 (Post 1306463)
im sure enough that it'd be worth the 5 minutes to pull the upper fairing off to check it.
Mine did the same thing when i took the street fairings off to install track fairings. re-installed the sensor and boom, she fired.

That didn't work I have a video that I will upload to show you what I'm dealing with.

Grey ed 08-02-2017 10:50 AM

G'day William
I've got similar prob.
When I turn key on doesn't prime (when I first discovered this prob o how I missed that sweet sound as this is my first Fuel injected bike) All my console lights are on blinkers work (front left on consistent but not flashing though other lights blink when asked to) headlights are off even though high beam icon on console is lit up, it cranks , and runs only if I hold down starter button. (This could be dangerous so I didn't even try to ride with button held down).
I checked btry, fine.
Checked all fuses' , intact.
I in no way felt qualified to deal with an electrical issue as carby bikes are a lot less wiry. IMO.

SO I thought id be a little Edward DeBono cross macguyver and remove the light fuse, while the key was off mind u.
And guess what happened when I turned the key the light on the tacho went on for a sec and it primed ( CHIMED A BEUTIFUL TUNE). All console lights didn't light up at all. I then cranked abit then ROARED to life. even tho no lights or blinkers work just the sound and feel of the engine was a hallelujah moment.
This may not be a full time solution as this is why I have to ask , as You have , for a more substantial solution. I hope this offers some help or joy just to know the bike runs just as powerful prior to this issue.
As for the text below is abit more context into my situation so u don't have to read it. I hope we can work this out and I'll be sure to let u know if I learn anything.
Good luck matey.

(This F4I that I bought was a street fighter no fairings, twin goggle headlights? and the guy I bought it off seemed to have done all the wiring himself and when I got home I looked inside tha plastic tubing to find a lot of wires taped , spliced?, and it looked very untidy I should've been more mindful with the inspection even bring a mechanic but I didn't bad luck/move. I got ripped off as I was too eager to get a Honda even though I still have a 750 kawasaki.) I need to find a 02F4i service manual so I can learn what a tip sensor looks like and work out the wiring harness thingy means so I can make sense of the what all the different wires do and purpose. I seen in a 2000F4 serv manl wirin diagram that a kill switch aligns up with the first plug wire (that's if I read it right).

Anyways Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks heaps.

CaBaRet 08-03-2017 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Grey ed (Post 1306513)
G'day William
I've got similar prob.
When I turn key on doesn't prime (when I first discovered this prob o how I missed that sweet sound as this is my first Fuel injected bike) All my console lights are on blinkers work (front left on consistent but not flashing though other lights blink when asked to) headlights are off even though high beam icon on console is lit up, it cranks , and runs only if I hold down starter button. (This could be dangerous so I didn't even try to ride with button held down).
I checked btry, fine.
Checked all fuses' , intact.
I in no way felt qualified to deal with an electrical issue as carby bikes are a lot less wiry. IMO.

SO I thought id be a little Edward DeBono cross macguyver and remove the light fuse, while the key was off mind u.
And guess what happened when I turned the key the light on the tacho went on for a sec and it primed ( CHIMED A BEUTIFUL TUNE). All console lights didn't light up at all. I then cranked abit then ROARED to life. even tho no lights or blinkers work just the sound and feel of the engine was a hallelujah moment.
This may not be a full time solution as this is why I have to ask , as You have , for a more substantial solution. I hope this offers some help or joy just to know the bike runs just as powerful prior to this issue.
As for the text below is abit more context into my situation so u don't have to read it. I hope we can work this out and I'll be sure to let u know if I learn anything.
Good luck matey.

(This F4I that I bought was a street fighter no fairings, twin goggle headlights? and the guy I bought it off seemed to have done all the wiring himself and when I got home I looked inside tha plastic tubing to find a lot of wires taped , spliced?, and it looked very untidy I should've been more mindful with the inspection even bring a mechanic but I didn't bad luck/move. I got ripped off as I was too eager to get a Honda even though I still have a 750 kawasaki.) I need to find a 02F4i service manual so I can learn what a tip sensor looks like and work out the wiring harness thingy means so I can make sense of the what all the different wires do and purpose. I seen in a 2000F4 serv manl wirin diagram that a kill switch aligns up with the first plug wire (that's if I read it right).

Anyways Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks heaps.

This should help
https://www.manualslib.com/h/honda+c...op+manual.html

Grey ed 08-04-2017 12:05 AM

Thanks CaBaRet,
I'll have a look at the link. (Like the name I was going to use Light CaBeR the force but it doesn't really work).
And Will I found some old links that may be helpful though I'm yet to try em. I'll av to backtrack to find em and give u the links.

Grey ed 08-04-2017 12:13 AM

Many thanks CABARET,
JUST had a quik look at ur advice and even thou fi know little bout electricals it should make it more tangible for me.

Mike Burger 08-09-2017 06:53 PM

Leave key on on position and wiggle wires and connectors on left side of headlight. Between front fairings and black air intake hose while key on. If it’s the wires then will hea fuel pump go on and headlights go on when u wigggle the culprit wire connectors and will start. Happened to me a few months ago. Never had to mess with it again after I made sure all was connected good.

Oh it will should stay running only if u hold down starter button if is wires. But headlight will not go on even if running not Ben with starter button held down.if u have all the these problems then I’m almost positive it’s loose wires by headlight which has something to do with knock over sensor. I didn’t buy any new parts and didn’t do anything else but make sure wires connected good. And it never did it again