F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fuel Pump Not Priming

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Not Priming

Hey, about a week ago I was riding my bike just fine to class. I get there and push the bike into neutral and hit the kill switch as I silently coast up to the motorcycle parking on campus. Bike was running like a champ until this point.

50 minutes later, I come outside to go home. Bike won't start. Weird. It's turning over just fine. Everything is lighting up on the instrument cluster, headlight is coming on, but the fuel pump is not pumping fuel.

I've searched this all over the web and multiple forums. Everyone says check BAS and maybe a tumbler switch in the ignition. Most other issues state that when the fuel pump won't prime the headlight won't come on either. My headlight is coming up (the bright does too), but no response from the fuel pump upon switching the bike on.

I'm planning on pulling the bike's front end completely apart if I can't get this resolved without doing so.

Anyone have any info they can pass along? I've only owned this bike for about a month so I'm not very familiar with it.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

check the kill switch. flip it a few times and see if things start working. the switch and/or contacts may be going bad. if those check out fine, test the fuel pump for power and ground. start there...

Old 12-10-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
check the kill switch. flip it a few times and see if things start working. the switch and/or contacts may be going bad. if those check out fine, test the fuel pump for power and ground. start there...

I appreciate the quick help. I went down really quick to test the toggle switch for the ignition. When I turn the bike on, with killswitch switched off the bike comes on and does it's intro on the cluster. Upon flipping the switch on, the FI light comes on on the cluster and I can hear a relay clicking in the tail of the bike. After a short few seconds the FI light goes off and I hear a click from the same spot in the tail.

Any ideas?

Old 12-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Check the fuel pump for power.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:54 AM

two things iv had trouble with that caused the same thing..

under the rear fairing on the right there are two relays one of them controls the fuel pump theyre cheap and easy to replace

or drop sensor possibly mine came loose while riding and had the same problem

Old 12-21-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by ozf4i
two things iv had trouble with that caused the same thing..

under the rear fairing on the right there are two relays one of them controls the fuel pump theyre cheap and easy to replace

or drop sensor possibly mine came loose while riding and had the same problem

Would that be what I'm hearing click when i turn on the bike and when the fuel pump is "Supposed" to finish priming and the FI light goes off, I hear a click again... is that the relay?

Also, can anyone give me some information as to where exactly the BAS/drop sensor is? My whole bike is ripped apart right now. Completely. Not messin' around and wanna make sure I address everything-- and there is a lot-- wrong with the bike before spring.

I currently have the tank off and fuel pump out, but I'm not very good with wires. The clip from the FP that goes to the harness has a connector with three female receptors... can anyone tell me how I would go about manually testing the fuel pump to see if it comes alive?

Also, I'm not sure I want to put the stock headlight for front end back on... it's pretty banged up and you can see all the cracks and damage on the inside where the previous owner just cauked it up to keep it firm. My headlight wasn't even bolted in, it was just sat in place and cauked to hell and back.

Anyway, this bike's direction is definitely headed toward something that is street ridden but beaten like it's not mine. I'll probably run another Acerbis LED Vision unit on this bike as I did on my R6. Not sure what I have to do to the wiring to bypass the headlight issues I've heard about with these bikes.

I've got a lot of work ahead of me. Any information you guys can pass along or give me tips with is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

---

Also, if the fuel pump relay was bad, would the FI light come on when I turn the bike on and then go off after the bike does its opening sequences on the cluster? Cause I'm thinking the relay might be okay.

Also, I have my headlight out along with the wiring assembly that attaches to the headlight bulbs. In the wire bundle there are wires that go to each headlight and also two seperate cords that lead to two individual small, black boxes. I believe one is the BAS and one is the headlight relay??? I can't tell which is which because most threads that refer to the BAS say it's the little black box between the headlight with three wires, but both the black boxes have three wires. Anyone clarify this for me?

Last edited by 02mattf4i; 12-21-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:37 PM

Im not sure about the clicking noise man, and I wish I had more information about that, but try the tip over sensor. When I first got my bike, it had gone through a heavy crash, and I took everything off to check all of the parts, and I still couldn't tell why it was just clicking. Well it turns out that my tip over sensor had gone bad. Check that first by seeing if you can get some readings with a multimeter, seen here... Redirect Notice (any electrician or mechanic shop should have one)

To test it, get a reading with the sensor sitting vertical, then turn it 90 degrees or so and see if the reading is different. I hope this helps!

Old 12-21-2011, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by donnygeewebb
Im not sure about the clicking noise man, and I wish I had more information about that, but try the tip over sensor. When I first got my bike, it had gone through a heavy crash, and I took everything off to check all of the parts, and I still couldn't tell why it was just clicking. Well it turns out that my tip over sensor had gone bad. Check that first by seeing if you can get some readings with a multimeter, seen here... Redirect Notice (any electrician or mechanic shop should have one)

To test it, get a reading with the sensor sitting vertical, then turn it 90 degrees or so and see if the reading is different. I hope this helps!

Yea, that makes sense. I can do that easily enough with the harness in hand. Thanks

Old 12-21-2011, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by 02mattf4i
Yea, that makes sense. I can do that easily enough with the harness in hand. Thanks
No problem man, I hope that does the trick. I forgot to mention to flip the cut off switch back and forth while testing it at some point. I've heard that that helps too.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:06 AM

the bike wont start if the headlight and front loom isnt plugged in, it will do exactly what your saying the pump wont prime.

the drop sensor is mounted to the back of the headlight it has three straight sideas and a rounded side its about half the size of a pack of ciggarettes and a bit thicker, if thats not pointing in the right direction it will do exactly what yours is doing,
unscrew it from the headlight and chase its wires, then fiddle around with holding it various positions im pretty sure this will fix your problem

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Not Priming