F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fuel coming out of the exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel coming out of the exhaust

And then some

Let me start by saying that I just got my 01 F4I, I've been in love with this bike ever since it came out. Anyways, I bought it from a friend of mine, and I was aware that there was an issue with the bike. My friend tells me that the last time he used the bike (back in 11/08 or so), smoke started to come out of the exhaust, and he parked it and it has been parked ever since.

There were two obvious issues with the bike when I picked her up:
1 - Battery was dead
2 - There was a fuel leak (somewhere)

Once at my place, while charging the battery, I tried to pin point where the fuel leak was at; unfortunately, I could not tell where it was leaking from, however a small puddle of fuel was slowly building up under the bike.

So I figured that if I get the bike started, I would be able to find the fuel leak easier; so I put the battery in, and the engine wouldn't crank, try it again, and nothing, hmmm...

So I decide to look for the fuel leak again, since the engine won't crank. After looking and looking, I noticed a fuel drop coming out of the slip on junction to the header, aha! For some devine reason, I said to myself, why don't you check the oil; and upon removing the oil cap (where you put oil in) a mixture of oil and fuel squirted out, I mean this was just like when you open the valve for the water hose. Fuel/oil came out of that hole for like 3 minutes straight, and after all was said and done; 3 gallons total came out of it

At this point, I am thinking that the engine is seized; not exactly the type of work or investment I had in mind. My question is has anybody experienced this problem before? What is the cost of having an engine rebuild? Any ideas as to what I should check, or do?

BTW - The bike is 100% stock, except for the slip on

Last edited by knonfs; 03-14-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:21 PM

Does it turn over and not start, or does the starter engage but nothing happens? Sounds like the fuel pressure regulator is bad. Somewhat of a simple fix. Use the search feature, lots of info on here about fuel pressure regulator going bad. If it is bad, the motor could just be hydro locked with all the fuel in there.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately sounds like FPR. Pull the plugs and then try cranking it.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Rotory2F4i
Does it turn over and not start, or does the starter engage but nothing happens? Sounds like the fuel pressure regulator is bad. Somewhat of a simple fix. Use the search feature, lots of info on here about fuel pressure regulator going bad. If it is bad, the motor could just be hydro locked with all the fuel in there.
I forgot to mention, it leaks fuel from the exhaust when the bike is off.

The engine does not turn over, whenever I try to start it, I can hear the starter engaging, but nothing happens. I also try to push start it, and as soon as I let go of the clutch, the rear wheel locks up.

Could the engine be hydro locked from all of the fuel? If so, how bad could that be? Does it means that the engine is toast? I hope not

Old 03-15-2009, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by jonld
Definately sounds like FPR. Pull the plugs and then try cranking it.
Will try that

Do I need a special socket for the plugs?

Old 03-15-2009, 08:18 AM

Ok, did the fuel pressure search, and that's a fairly easy part to change. Here is the question, if the FPR was bad, is there a way for fuel to make it to the combustion chamber when the bike is off?

My friend says that he was able to start it when the issue started about 4 months ago, but he let it sit for the whole winter without removing the gas/oil. Could gas somehow make its way to the engine over a period of time?

I will pull the plugs, and push the bike on gear (I am afraid to crank it, with all of that fuel in the chamber, if there is any). I really hope this is the problem

Old 03-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, the motor is hydrolocked, and your FPR is shot. (which caused the hydrolock) You're gonna need a 16 mm deep socket and a swivel to get the plugs out. Take off the tank and air box to get to the plugs, its alot easier than going in from the front. The tank doesnt need to come off, loosen the rear bolts and remove the front ones and use a bungee cord hooked under the tail and the front of the tank to hold it up outta the way. Cover the spark plug holes with shop rags cause when you hit the starter button, all the fuel in the head is gonna spew out everywhere. and since you'll already be there you might as well replace the FPR too. To put your mind at ease you're motor is fine, just full of gas. You'll be on the road in no time.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
Yup, the motor is hydrolocked, and your FPR is shot. (which caused the hydrolock) You're gonna need a 16 mm deep socket and a swivel to get the plugs out. Take off the tank and air box to get to the plugs, its alot easier than going in from the front. The tank doesnt need to come off, loosen the rear bolts and remove the front ones and use a bungee cord hooked under the tail and the front of the tank to hold it up outta the way. Cover the spark plug holes with shop rags cause when you hit the starter button, all the fuel in the head is gonna spew out everywhere. and since you'll already be there you might as well replace the FPR too. To put your mind at ease you're motor is fine, just full of gas. You'll be on the road in no time.
You sir are the man!!!

After removing the plugs, and draining fuel that found its way to the engine during the night; the engine now turns

I will order new spark plugs, and FPR tomorrow; and will install everything by the end of the week. Hopefully she will purr again by the end of the week

Old 03-15-2009, 03:39 PM

glad you figured it out, and congrats on your new bike.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Spieluhr
glad you figured it out, and congrats on your new bike.
Thanks!

I guess I spoke to soon

I put the old spark plugs back in, just to see if the engine will turn. With the spark plugs in, the engine does turn, but at a VERY slow rate. I am testing things one at a time, so the air box is not installed, and the fuel tank is raised at an angle with a bungee cord.

I tried to use "jump" the battery, but there is no difference at how slow the engine turns when trying to start it.

Quick Reply: Fuel coming out of the exhaust