CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Fork Help (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/fork-help-109923/)

Eliteedge0788 05-02-2010 02:25 AM

Fork Help

Well guys I brought my bike down to the local honda shop to get some fork seals. about 2 days later they call and say "ive got bad new" immediately im like o no wtf did they do to my bike and the he follows by saying "we wouldn't advise you to get new seals, Instead you need to get new fork tubes due to having a rust spot". My mouth dropped immediately. He said new oem tubes will run me $800. Is there any alternative companies that make tubes? What would you guys suggest me doing?

O and for the record i keep my bike in the garage but the guy i bought it from kept it outside. :D (just wanted to get that point across before that conversation gets started)

F4ith 05-02-2010 03:27 AM

Have you seen the rust yourself yet? If it's a small spot that's visible, you could try a little wd40 to get it off. I don't know if that's recommended but I did it before and everything's fine...for now. Could just be normal stealership protocol. How are the reviews for the shop? Then again, I never replaced my fork seals.

vangill 05-02-2010 01:10 PM

dealerships have to reccomend that to cover themselves. you could prolly clean it up just fine and run some new seals and not have any trouble. BUT if u are wanting new tubes-youll have to get the oem ones, u can get used forks for like 150 in good shape

just get your bike back, clean the rust up-post some pics if its really bad looking, get some new seals in it and have some fun with the bike.

DBEAU 05-02-2010 01:47 PM

Is rust on the fork tubes really that big of a deal?

vangill 05-02-2010 02:04 PM

i dont think so, but thats mean, the seals wont seal up like they are supposed to and they may tend to leak, but ive seen some rusty forks work fine with no leaks. im talking about a little surface rust, no deep pitting kind of rust the rust should clean off tho

but to a dealership yes they would be-bc the seals could possibly leak the next day -so they would have to redo them and loose money

Cj11 05-02-2010 04:31 PM

They just want your money man, dealerships are just out to make money so obviously if they see one little thing they will say you HAVE To replace it, when you probably dont really need to.

kowen1208 05-02-2010 06:12 PM

Try to remove the rust yourself. If the rust is too bad, I've heard stuntlife is a good site to find bikes that are being parted out. Either way, change the seals.

vangill 05-02-2010 06:46 PM

dealerships sometimes cant afford being sued if something really went wrong, so they have to advise you to replace even the most slightly damaged parts with new ones, bc thats what the service manual says

i dont think anyone that works in a dealership actually wakes up and goes to work and says "hey, i wanna rape somebody's wallet today, bc thats my job"

post some pics of the rust, youll prolly be able to clean it

kowen1208 05-02-2010 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by vangill (Post 915618)
i dont think anyone that works in a dealership actually wakes up and goes to work and says "hey, i wanna rape somebody's wallet today, bc thats my job"

I dunno. I've worked with some pretty shady people at car dealerships. :icon_rolleyes:

LoneWolf04 05-02-2010 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by kowen1208 (Post 915640)
I dunno. I've worked with some pretty shady people at car dealerships. :icon_rolleyes:

agreed... you would be suprised at the types of people you may find working on your car or bike.