F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Flyboy's CBR600F4i build thread. (Lots of pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flyboy's CBR600F4i build thread. (Lots of pics!)

Hey guys, I wanted to make a thread that was for the history of my bike. I don't think I'm going to be doing any extensive mods, but I will be doing little things here and there, and I enjoy documenting it with pics a long the way.

With that said, sit back and (hopefully) enjoy.

Here is the bike when I first got it home and cleaned up:
Name:  IMG_0083.jpg
Views: 4947
Size:  93.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0082.jpg
Views: 1946
Size:  79.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0081.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  96.9 KB

I changed all the filters and fluids, but I didn't want to bore you with pics of that.

First 'mod' is mirrors. Previous owner had put mirror block offs on it.
Name:  IMG_0087.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  52.8 KB

I got some carbon mirrors off eBay for $20.00. I'm pretty happy with them.
Name:  IMG_0086.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  47.1 KB

Ta-da!
Name:  IMG_0089.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  59.6 KB

Another thing that the previous owner did that I did not like was mount the plate vertically bolted directed to the fiberglass tail. It looks kind of odd in my opinion, and I don't want any trouble from police.

I bought a piece of aluminum from the local machine shop. I think it was $1.75, then polished it and sanded the edges smooth.
Name:  IMG_0109.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  64.1 KB

Then drilled holes to mount to the fiberglass and license plate... yeah they are not that well aligned lol. I fixed that later on.
Name:  IMG_0110.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  76.7 KB

Then I took some fuel tubing I had laying around and made little spacers between the aluminum and the fiberglass to prevent rubbing, added some bolts and lock nuts.
Name:  IMG_0111.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  62.4 KB

And bam! looks a lot better than the vertical plate imo.
Name:  IMG_0113.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  47.8 KB

Next I bought some Shogun frame sliders.
Name:  IMG_0118.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  116.5 KB

The left side went on without a hitch. The right side felt more ominous though...

Took a pic in case I screwed it up lol.
Name:  IMG_0124.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  88.9 KB

Hole marked.
Name:  IMG_0126.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  73.8 KB

Aaaaaand crap. When I was drilled with the hole saw, a fiber glass patch (that the previous owner forget to mention ) exploded on the back of the panel and caused it to crack. This caused the paint chip shown. The good news is I got the slider installed perfect!
Name:  IMG_0127.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  73.4 KB

I took the fairing back off, added some epoxy and fiberglass mesh to the back of it, and then took some black ceramic repair stuff and filled in the crack on the front. You can see it from about 24" if you look, but I'm pretty pleased over all.

Name:  IMG_0133.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  96.6 KB

Anyway, please tell me what you guys think. I will update this as I do mods to the bike. Future plans include a better exhaust system, PCIII, LED everything, and whatever else I can think of.

Stay tuned!

Last edited by flyboy1294; 03-05-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:38 AM

nice work, i also know the how it feels to screw up . it`s really disapointing to see your nice shiny fairings rashed and broken, unfotunatly i wasn`t able to match the white paint on mine well enough so im going to strip it down this weekend and go about changing the colour.

cbr 600 f4i walk around custom white and black - YouTube
i droped it - YouTube

Old 03-06-2012, 06:44 AM

Ouch!

Man your bike was/is gorgeous. That white has a great look. I'm sorry about your accident though.

What all got torn up? The frame slider looks pretty funky and it seems like you have a bit of road rash, but that is all I can see.

This is my first bike, and the fairings have a few small imperfections that you really have to look for, but are visible to me because I know where to look. I want to put a few thousand miles on it and really hone in my skills before I spend a couple hundred dollars on either painting or replacing the plastics. I know an accident can happen at almost any time, but I'd like to get as much of the noob out of my system as possible lol. Right now I've driven about 100 miles on it.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:53 AM

i also bought some shogun frame sliders, just waiting for them to arrive. i hope i dont screw up too badly, any tips on installing them?

Old 03-06-2012, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by omg209
i also bought some shogun frame sliders, just waiting for them to arrive. i hope i dont screw up too badly, any tips on installing them?

Use the silly putty or PlayDoh method when you are doing the sliders. Basically put the bolt from the sliders into the frame, but do not install the slider on it. Then estimate where the bolt will hit the plastic and put a patch of PlayDoh inside the plastic in that area.

Then just mount up the plastic, and take it back off. Make sure you put on the majority of the bolts that hold the plastic on. Otherwise it may sag and give you a false measurement.

Take the plastic back off, look on the reverse side, and there should be an impression of the bolt in the PlayDoh. Put some masking tap on the outside of the plastic to prevent decal peeling and paint chipping, and drill your pilot hole from the inside. Then turn it back over, use your hole saw from the out side, and you should be done.

I used a 1 3/4" hole saw and then dremeled the hole smooth, and my sliders fit perfect.

Just go slow and make sure not to apply too much pressure on the plastics when you drill, and you will be fine. My problem is because of some crappy repair work that I failed to take into consideration.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:53 PM

thanks, this will help alot!

Old 03-06-2012, 08:56 PM

thanks, this will help alot!
No problem, just go slow!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:52 AM

Yeah sh#t happens, you can only learn from your mistakes.

the sliders helped, it kept the damage to a minimum just scuffed the midpipe but they also caused a great deal of damage the bolt for the slider bent and pushed the fairing backwards breaking all the mount holes out and melting it to my midpipe. im pretty handy with body work and have repaired all the fairing damage but the fairing`s are chinese and where painted there, i got paint mixed up for the tank but when sprayed on the fairings it dosn`t match and sticks out like dog ****. theres to many white ones know anyway.

keeping all the striping on it black changing the white to a dark silver/grey and going to split it up with a thin red pinstripe, maybe a few decals and finish it off with a gold fleck clear coat. all done in house by yours truley

Old 03-07-2012, 12:46 PM

i just noticed that Ozzy's and Flyboy's frame sliders are cut sliders but they are in different positions. Do you get to choose where to put them or the type of sliders you have tell you where you mount them?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:21 AM

i just noticed that Ozzy's and Flyboy's frame sliders are cut sliders but they are in different positions. Do you get to choose where to put them or the type of sliders you have tell you where you mount them?
no seems to be a brand by brand thing you seem to see alot of different positions. my sliders are rather expensive australian made units OGGY *****, they worked quite well in there position, apart from the bolt bending.

Quick Reply: Flyboy's CBR600F4i build thread. (Lots of pics!)