F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fixing her after the Accident

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, finally a tiny bit of progress, finally!

Yesterday I received the OEM stator cover and the gasket.. so thats one step closer towards the repair.

Things still pending
--Waiting on fairings from Extremefairings.com
--Need to order mirrors (debating on black or faux carbon fiber mirrors)
--Need to order frame sliders
--Need a headlight
--Need to find out what muffler I want and order.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Name:  2015-03-25%2009.43.48_zpsj1u5lwjg.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  101.8 KB

Old 03-30-2015, 03:01 PM

Micron makes a pretty quiet muffler with deeper tone to it for these bikes. May want to check it out.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:01 AM

Thank you sir! I will look into once I am back in the US
Originally Posted by 99cbrf4600
Micron makes a pretty quiet muffler with deeper tone to it for these bikes. May want to check it out.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:37 PM

Had 2 hours to kill waiting for my next flight here in Bogota, Colombia and did a youtube search.. I admit I really like the sound of the Micron, I'm sure it sounds even better in person. However, I was not able to find any on ebay or amazon. Any suggestions where I can find some? I asked a buddy and he thinks Micron went out of business

Old 04-01-2015, 02:27 PM

Its crazy that you're doing the same thing I have to do right now on the same bike too. I went off the road last October. I was riding down Campton Hills road out in Wasco/St. Charles(if you're familiar at all with the area) and came around the corner to find a construction lady standing there with a stop sign. They had absolutely no signage leading up to it. I am thankful I didn't hit anyone or seriously hurt myself for how fast I was going. I have a micron on my bike right now and have been happy with the sound but I was also looking into the 2 Brothers pipes. Cant remember which one it was but it had that lower tone that you mentioned that I like as well. CJardine recommended WoodCraft frame sliders to me and Incompatible seconded that, so I'll probly end up getting those. I was looking at reviews from some of our members on those fairings today and didn't get a sense that they had much luck with them so hopefully you don't go through that as well. I'll try and post pictures of my bike and pipe as well.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:48 AM

It has been a long time since updating but I am very excited to see the weather get nicer and the parts starting to come!

So far I've got confirmation of the fairings shipping out
-ordered 35w 5000k slim ballast HIDs from DDMtuning
-ordered an alarm with remote start from Amazon with nice reviews (only need alarm, not RS)
-ordered OE style aftermarket mirrors from Amazon
-already have the stator cover and gasket on hand

--Stuff I'm still looking for or considering, any help on picking these would be greatly appreciated
-frame sliders
-muffler

While I dont need the muffler to ride, I would def prefer a nicer/newer one even if stock since mine is scratched up

Does anyone know any places other than Amazon, ebay, and Craigslist to look for bike parts?

Name:  tvMXT3S.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  94.9 KB

Last edited by Colombo; 04-16-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:01 PM

Doubt anyone cares or is keeping up with my repairs so I'll just use this as a log for myself

Picked up a motorcycle stand from Harbor Freight over the weekend

Over the last week I have done very minimal work but still some progress.
-Removed all of the old fairings and headlight
-Replaced stator cover and gasket
-Fresh oil change/filter
-topped off the coolant with some Honda coolant

Pending work
-Clean and lube chain with some stuff I cleaner and lube I picked up from Cycle Gear
-lightly sand a couple of small scratches on frame and paint with some rustoleum high heat black paint
-install newly receivined DDMtuning 5000k HIDs
-install (cut out) newly received frame sliders
-install new mirrors
-install the new fairings that just came in from ExtremeFairings

What a lovely surprise at work! the one piece I pulled out of the box looks pretty good, we shall see how they fit and look once installed!

Name:  IMAG0734_zpsys84q223.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  199.3 KB

Name:  IMAG0736_zps8it1bopo.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  149.8 KB

Last edited by Colombo; 04-27-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:26 PM

ARGGHHH!

Keep posting! Some of us are seriously interested in this journey. I am thoroughly impressed with folks like you who can take apart such a complicated piece of equipment like the F4i and put it back together; betterer and baderer.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Brotha J
ARGGHHH!

Keep posting! Some of us are seriously interested in this journey. I am thoroughly impressed with folks like you who can take apart such a complicated piece of equipment like the F4i and put it back together; betterer and baderer.
Thanks! I've made little progress in the last two days, less than I hoped for as I actually wanted the bike ready for riding to work on Thursday morning.

Things I've done:
-sanded scratches on frame with 320grit sandpaper and painted with Rust-o-leum flat black high temp paint. Looks much better!

-installed the HIDs into the headlight and tested them

I had a lot of trouble mounting the rear fender.. it appears that the mounting points are significantly thicker than the stock and I ended having to sand the mounting points to thin them out and allow clearance for the frame to slide in. see pics below.

Now that I got that out of the way, I can start putting the rest of the plastics on, hopefully today after work I can knock it out in an hour or two *crosses fingers*

Name:  IMAG0751_zpsya3egnh4.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  216.7 KB

You can see how much more clearance it needed! I sanded that much off!
Name:  IMAG0750_zpsksn5imfg.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  344.8 KB

and the other side too! I was disappointed with extremefairings but kind of expected it at that price. Paint looked good for the most part
Name:  IMAG0749_zpsxlq5l73i.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  300.1 KB

And here is where she stands now. pardon the mess!
Name:  IMAG0752_zpsitxpkir6.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  217.5 KB

Old 05-04-2015, 12:03 PM

Finally some progress! The bike is almost ready, I could not contain myself and decided to ride it without having installed the frame sliders. I will do them soon but I had a severe itch to ride it so I did. On the second day I got stranded due to a "dead" battery but even a jump from my co-worker did not help start the bike. Had to wait for it to cool down and then voila! it started normally on its own without the jump. Can anyone confirm if this sounds like a Regulartor Rectifier issue?

Sorry I could not get any fancy shmancy artistic photos, was too excited to be riding it finally

Name:  IMAG0754_zpshlwkrdwm.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  251.2 KB

Name:  IMAG0756_zpsvitfiend.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  215.7 KB

Name:  IMAG0755_zps4poe3lwb.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  239.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0757_zpszck1rolk.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  264.2 KB