F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

first time down the track last night ....

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first time down the track last night ....

last night i took my 04 f4i down the track at raceway park in NJ, it was my first time taking a bike down the track and i went a 11.54 @ 119.57 and the second pass was a 11.52 @ 119.72 , im pretty happy with that for my first time ever launching the bike, i raced my buddy with an 08 600rr and he went a 11.57 @ 123 and 11.56 @ 122, i know his bike is quicker and also lighter than mine i just have better launches then he dose, but how do you guys recommend adding some power to my f4i? im bone stock with just a yoshi slip on. last night before i went i checked the stock air filter and it was clean i tried putting in the BMC i bought for the bike but it didnt fit perfect, almost like it was alittle to big so i just put the stock one back in for now. ive had this bike since 2010 and i defiantly out grew it but i dont want to get rid of it, its a low mileage super clean bike that i got for the right price way back when and i love it i just want to keep up with all the newer bikes that i ride with on the street, i more than keep up on the street just by out riding them but im just getting bored of the power and dont want to change gearing. i know i should do a power commander but what is the best one for the f4i? i was also thinking of a power commander and a dyno tune what do you think?

appreciate any input
thank you
- Lou

Old 06-06-2013, 03:02 PM
"A"
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Go to gym, lose 20 lb.

Srsly, nothing like increasing the power to weight ratio by reducing weight to get yourself faster.

Last edited by "A"; 06-06-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Power Commander 3 USB should be more than up to the task, all you need is a good tuner. And like "A" said about, there's always losing weight off of you and/or the bike. I know you don't want to mess with gearing, but changing sprockets is a relatively cheap way to get quicker acceleration. You can refer to gearingcommander.com to see what you need.

A couple other things you can do that's a bit more drastic that I'm not 100% on, but have heard from the grape vine is to undercut the gears, stiffer clutch springs (various clutch mods are probably out there), and something that a lot of f4i stunters is doing that might apply to your task is an ignition advance mod and syncing the throttle bodies as it improves throttle response noticeably.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:33 PM
July 2008 ROTM

The answer to the question depends on what you want to do with the bike. There are a lot of drag race friendly mods that are not necessarily street friendly (extend the swing arm, lower the bike, strap the front end, etc.). Gearing is a huge thing at the track, but you don't want to change that, so clearly you're not looking to just go faster on the track. So really, the PCIII and dyno tune would be great all-around, but beyond that, I would dial the suspension, maybe strap the front end when you're at the track, and just practice practice practice.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

If you must add parts, a full exhaust, k&n filter, thinner head gasket, and full dyno tune with a PC3 or bazzaz tuner are your basic options.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:07 AM

okay so the pcIII usb seems like the way to go. Dose anyone not recommend buying a used one? and im going to strap the front end next time i do go, and its not that i dont want to change the gearing its just id prefer not to sacrifice top end for bottom end acceleration or vise verse BUT if i was going to change the gearing what dose anyone recommend doing? nothing to crazy just your average sprocket set up that most f4i owners would do? i do ride the highway allot

Old 06-07-2013, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by raylee
Power Commander 3 USB should be more than up to the task, all you need is a good tuner. And like "A" said about, there's always losing weight off of you and/or the bike. I know you don't want to mess with gearing, but changing sprockets is a relatively cheap way to get quicker acceleration. You can refer to gearingcommander.com to see what you need.

A couple other things you can do that's a bit more drastic that I'm not 100% on, but have heard from the grape vine is to undercut the gears, stiffer clutch springs (various clutch mods are probably out there), and something that a lot of f4i stunters is doing that might apply to your task is an ignition advance mod and syncing the throttle bodies as it improves throttle response noticeably.

do you know of any good tuners in nj that i could bring the bike to? im about 20 min north of e-town in union county

Old 06-07-2013, 07:04 AM

A lot of good info here guys... Another vote for the PC3!

Old 06-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrafreak92
do you know of any good tuners in nj that i could bring the bike to? im about 20 min north of e-town in union county
JDS cycle off of exit 137 on the Parkway does dyno tunes. My buddy got his 8 second 'busa tuned there and he's been racing damn near every week without a problem (except he can't keep the front wheel down on the launch) and the guy who works there is an ex-pro drag racer so they're pretty good. I think they quoted me like $300 for a dyno tune last time I talked to them.

You can also check out Xtreme Machines down by exit 8 on the turnpike, but I've heard mixed stories about the reliability of their tunes.

Personally, when I have the spare cash I plan on taking my bike to JDS to get tuned. BTW, do you know if they're still doing cruise nights down at e-town? They don't have any listed on the schedule.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrafreak92
okay so the pcIII usb seems like the way to go.
With just a slip on that PC3 and dyno tuning with gain you all of maybe 3hp. Which means you'll spend many hundreds of dollars to see absolutley zero results anywhere you ride as far as acceleration goes.

Quick Reply: first time down the track last night ....