F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

First post! Looking to buy an F4i, is this a good price?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post! Looking to buy an F4i, is this a good price?

Hey everyone! I'm here because of interesting circumstances. For the past year I have owned a 2002 Suzuki SV650s, and have loved it. However, recently I have been eyeing CBR 600's, and in particular, F4i's, but was holding off on selling my bike because I didn't want to have to deal with it. Well, friday night I was riding along and a car decided to turn in front of me! I hit his passenger side door, and now the bike is totaled. I'm fine, thankfully.

So. I'm looking to buy an F4i asap.. I can't stand not having a bike to ride around. I really want a red one, and have been looking on craigslist and ebay. What do you guys think of this one? http://atlanta.craigslist.org/mcy/793233207.html He's pretty firm on his price of $4500. He claims that he has someone coming to buy it for $4400 this upcoming Saturday, but would sell it for $4500 before that. It has some mods that I really like, but it has 22k miles on it.. at that mileage, should I pass it up?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 08-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: First post! Looking to buy an F4i, is this a good price?

Tough call.
FWIW- I bought my bike 2 years ago for about same price with about 15k on the clock. Those mods mean very little in terms of $ value. I'm sure they add loads in terms of appeal.

I'm sure many others will say the price is too high, but were right in the middle of silly season.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:28 PM
WOT

The price isn't bad and these bikes hold their value. Looks clean!

I would offer him KBB and stick to it. I would never fall for the "you better hurry up and buy it because someone is coming out tomorrow" line. There will be other bikes to buy.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:30 PM

When you say KBB, do you mean KBB retail? I would expect to pay under retail for a vehicle when buying from private party, but by how much? KBB doesn't offer private party on bikes. KBB retail on this one is $4425.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:53 PM

Then it sounds like a fair deal to me if that's KBB value.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:06 PM

i would pass. that's a lot of miles in my opinion...i would search around more and look to buy a bike during the off-season (whenever it rains in your area).
after searching around for a while i got a great deal on my bike mid dec. with 3K miles for $5K.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:39 PM

High mileage means nothing. Check the maintenance records. Personality of seller can say something, but don't be fooled by Jekyl and Hyde.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:06 PM

I have the same exact 02 bike, two brothers pipe/ red smoke screen. Bought it Aug. 05 5700 mi mint shape for $3900 with a Joe Rocket textile jacket and HJC helmet. Bank listed it for about $4300 I think. Call up your bank and ask the loan dept what it's worth to them.
I Love it to death. I an older guy but can still ride it in the hills all day with a few breaks here and there.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:17 PM

I bought mine 02, same color, akropovic full pipe, power commander, sprocket change, speed heal, flush mount fender elim., rear seat cowl, double bubble, undertail (dont know which one it's the one with two round lights), scorpio alarm, and all the stock parts for 4300 and it had 18k on clock.

WhenI actually was in the market for it, I didn't really want all the mods but now I'm glad it came with all the goodies.

So...definitely don't fall for that "now or never" crap and remember you can always find deals. Although when I saw mine on craigslist, I knew I had to buy it so I kept putting in offers for less and told the seller "I WILL BRING CASH NOW!!!" and he finally went for it. Seller was also very nice, bike was kept up well. Also you have to consider everyone buying up motorcycles which brings the price up a little. Good luck, you won't regret getting a F4i

Old 08-19-2008, 08:37 PM

welcome to the forums man!

22k miles, I think that 4,100 would be a bit better.

Just for comparison, I bought my 02 with 13,000 miles last year for $4,300.

blackhawk411

Also you have to consider everyone buying up motorcycles which brings the price up a little. Good luck, you won't regret getting a F4i
Good Point...

As far as the milage, one thing I always look at when buying a used vehicle are the brakes. If the rotors are discolored and worn, you know someone's been beating the hell out of the bike. Bubbles on the tire sidewalls is also another good indication...

Quick Reply: First post! Looking to buy an F4i, is this a good price?