F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

first gear hammer

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first gear hammer

just back from bombin some backroads and barely beat the rain[sm=icon_rock.gif]. my question is can anything be done to quiet down the tranny when you put the bike in first gear from nuetral when your sittin still. my bike is loud as **** and its annoying as hell. i've tried the 10 second clutch engagement thing but it does'nt make a difference. upshifting is pretty smooth through all the gears. maybe i just need to put some more miles on the new girl (only has 500 someodd miles) or i maybe i should just get used to it if the bike does it for the longhaul. thanks[sm=feedback.gif]

Old 08-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Default RE: first gear hammer

Every bike clunks when you put it in 1st. It may get better with miles, but it will never go away, it's the nature of the beast.

Old 08-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Default RE: first gear hammer

Keep up with the oil changes.

If you really want to minimize the "clunk" roll the bike forward and shift into 1st while it's rolling. That is about as good as you are going to get.

I just don't worry about it. At lights I downshift before I come to a stop. When I start the bike I let it warm up. That's about all you can do.

Remember it's not a car transmission. It dosent have synchros.