F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

First Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Gear

Hey Guys,
I have an 03 f4i, 14k miles on it. I haven't heard any issues with the CCTL (just bought the bike two weeks ago), or had any problems with valve clatter/tap. But when I down shift into first gear, it makes the loud Honda POP then it makes a whining noise, and I hear a slight tapping, or slapping of the chain. Does anybody know what the hell is up??

Thanks!
Evan

Old 10-10-2009, 02:08 PM

Are you popping it in to 1st gear from Neutral? Because if you are, then that loud "pop" sound/lurching forward you hear is normal, just engaging. Nothing to be worried about.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

First gear is just plain rougher to me than the other gears, same as with all the japanese-made vehicles I've owned. Does the tapping continue after you've shifted into first or is just after the shift? If the latter, I'm with Dark.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:41 PM

No the loud pop after it engages just stops after i've put it into first. It happens from neutral, or from any other gear. I know it's just engaging now, so it's not much of an issue. But the loud whirring or whining noise still happens when i downshift, as in when coming to a red light, etc. Thanks so far!!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Well, the whirring/whining is pretty much what happens when you downshift, to a certain extent- it sounds to me like you're not downshifting at the right RPMs which will make that noise much more pronounced as you engine brake.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:13 AM

I think there is nothing abnormal about this "whining" sound. I'm riding '02 and get it every time I down shift for the engine brake.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:57 AM

It happens in my Subaru as well, after I rode around the block without my helmet (for listening) it sounded pretty normal. It's just a "new" bike (to me) and i'm a little paranoid. Is it also normal for the chain to be "clicking" all the time? It's not like a CCTL problem, you can just hear the chain ticking as it goes around at any rpm. Is that normal as well??

Old 10-12-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Junior2552
It happens in my Subaru as well, after I rode around the block without my helmet (for listening) it sounded pretty normal. It's just a "new" bike (to me) and i'm a little paranoid. Is it also normal for the chain to be "clicking" all the time? It's not like a CCTL problem, you can just hear the chain ticking as it goes around at any rpm. Is that normal as well??
Probably a stupid question, but have you cleaned and lubed the chain? I bought a 2005 F4i a month and a half ago (my first bike). The dealer said they check the all of the bikes out and do simple maintenance on them before selling them, but my chain sounded like the first hill on a roller coaster. I bought some chain wax, cleaned the chain with WD40, rode it about 15 miles then applied the chain wax. It's been quite since. Which reminds me, I need to lube my chain again...

Old 10-12-2009, 05:13 PM

hmmmmm I can try that, because i haven't even looked into it. I have both chain lube and wax. is there a specfic order they go on? clean the chain with some brake cleaner, hit it with some lube, then wax it? does that work?

Old 10-13-2009, 11:37 AM

It's super easy to do, but might take some time if you are doing it for the first time.

I usually take the chain guard off to get more space. Using either WD40 or special sprays I clean the chain very well along with the sprocket. Then I run for a mi or so to get the chain warmed up a little. Apply lube, let it stay for about 15 min. Wipe excessive lube off and you are good to go.

P.S. Get rear stand if you still don't have one. It will save you a TON of time.
You can also use any kind of cardboard to avoid spraying everything else on the way with cleaners and lube.

Quick Reply: First Gear