F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

First Bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Bike

Hey guys, so i decided to go over to State 8 motorcycles the other day, to find something to play with in the spring. I came across a white and red 2001 f4i. i've never ridden a bike before, besides dirtbikes, and wondered if this is an okay bike to start on. i was offered an 03 CBR600rr but i am not ready to handle that beast. any feedback would be appreciated. also, i was thinking of an ICON textile jacket and a scorpion helmet. any other suggestions?

thanks!

Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Default RE: First Bike

I rode dirt bikes for quite a few years when I was younger and bought a 2001 CBR600f4i this last spring. I had ridden a dual purpose bike on the road before, but it was the first time I've ridden a sport bike. It only took me a week or two to get used to riding it, so if you have ridden dirt bikes a lot I think that you'll probably be alright. Just take it easy to start with.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:49 AM

okay.. the f4i will kill you equally fast as the rr if you dont keep your right hand in check, BUT if you can control yourself and not try to show off, the rr is a miraculous machine. dont get me wrong, i am in love with my f4i and she does everything i could ever ask for and more, but if i could go back and buy my first bike again it would be the rr. either way you cant go wrong. just keep your head right and know that both bike's limits are way higher than your own.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After taking the MSF course, my first bike was an 2004 F4i. It depends on you about the f4i being your first sport bike, but since you already have experience on bikes in general, you should be okay if you are self controlling with the throttle and general handling of motorcycles.

What is their asking price and how many miles are on the bike?

As for the gear, my first jacket was a textile and my first helmet was an HJC (both of which I still use and will be using). I say you will be fine with your selection. I just purchased a leather to have as something to switch between. But when it comes to gear, it is better to have gear than not to have gear. Don`t forget about some good gloves and boots too.

Good luck!

Old 01-26-2009, 12:13 PM

If you do a search on this topic you'll find plenty of info, this comes up all the time.

my 2 cents no, bad first bike.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:34 PM

Also "no". The F4i and the RR are not different to a new rider. You're talking 10hp and 3ft-lbs of torque difference at most. (http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_w...ts/index4.html)

So is it a "good" first street bike? Absolutely not.

Can it be treated like one? I guess so, people do it all the time.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:22 PM

I think it just depends on the person. I def wouldn't suggest that some 18 year old kid go out and buy one because they aren't mature enough to handle that kind of power. I bought an F4i as my first bike and the closest thing I rode was a 4 wheeler. I took at slow and learned in an empty parking lot and I am still learning every ride. So its up to you if you want to buy some little 250 ninja and then try and sell that glorified moped after you are done with it a week later.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: 01cbrf4isandb

I think it just depends on the person. I def wouldn't suggest that some 18 year old kid go out and buy one because they aren't mature enough to handle that kind of power. I bought an F4i as my first bike and the closest thing I rode was a 4 wheeler. I took at slow and learned in an empty parking lot and I am still learning every ride. So its up to you if you want to buy some little 250 ninja and then try and sell that glorified moped after you are done with it a week later.
I've sold two "glorified mopeds" and I made money both times. They were and are in extreme demand, especially when gas was over $4/gal.

It doesn't matter how mature you are. The bike doesn't care if you're a 59 year old ex-submariner and a former NAVY SEAL or a 16 year old highschool dropout. If you're not familiar with riding a bike on the street, throttle control, lane positioning, traffic situations, etc... you're going to be overwhelmed on ANY machine. Having over 100hp and all your weight on your wrists just makes the learning curve that much steeper.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:05 PM

Go with the f4i. I had a 04. Now a 03 954rr. Just show the bike respect, practice and take a safety course. They work! My first bike ever was a Katana 600. Before that it was all dirt bikes. You buy a 250 and your gonna regret it. But a RR and F4i are not very different.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:49 PM

I think it is a good fist bike, but like everyone says be careful on it. My first bike was a 96 YZF600 and no matter how hard I got on it it would not pull the front wheel off the ground (unless I dropped the clutch...never tried though). Not the case with the F4i. Also, I recommend the F4i as it is a more comfortable riding position. The RR handlebars are lower than the F4i which means leaning farther forward. Kinda hurts the lower back.