F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

first bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default first bike

whats up everybody! im going to pick up my '01 F4i (bone stock)tomorrow in VA. new to riding (took the MSF class in '05, thats the only experience i have besides quads). i've spent the past few days looking through this forum for tips and helpful info (lol, i actually went through 40 pages) and so far this site seems great, w/ very knowlegable people willing to help out! so, here's a crappy pic of it but once i get'er home i'll take ALOT more pics, lol. and i live on a back road thats connected to another really long back road.....so me and a buddy that's also new to riding plan on just taking it easy and riding these back roads and parking lotsuntil we feel a little more comfortable on the bikes to begin riding in traffic and what not.

well, anyone w/ more helpful tips, feel free to reply w/'em! (i have gear aswell.....helmet, gloves, jacket and im thinking about buying the icon field armour vest to wearunder my jacket, and getting the icon timax pants....and i have a riding backpack)

Name:  79zUOnQl9w0uSt0VEwszvILUJCdc.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  15.3 KB

Old 04-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: first bike

awsome ! and welcome to the family that is my personal favortie color scheme for the f4i's except maybe an all white one lol but sounds like youre on the right path. just take things slow and ride within your limits and you will be fine . good luck and ride safe

Old 04-13-2007, 05:57 PM

i did the same thing as you, took MSF course, had no experience at all on a motorcycle before. and i'm doing great now, just be sure to have full respect for the bike. and remember **** happens, lol. just hope that it doesn't.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:58 PM

thanks bro. i have to admit.....its pretty intimidating and i do feel a little bit nervous of starting out. but i know if i take my time i should be fine. i mean....when i first got my quad i SUCKED, lol. and w/ time everything just came natural.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

within your spending limits, try to do what the MSF guys recommended - no skin showing - but with bike gear. Denim doesnt last on the road... if pants are too expensive right now get a couple of knee/shin guards at least (~20 at my local bikeshop) and some good hiking over the ankle boots if not bike boots.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Banned

i did the same thing as you, took MSF course, had no experience at all on a motorcycle before. and i'm doing great now, just be sure to have full respect for the bike. and remember **** happens, lol. just hope that it doesn't.
Same here. MSF on a 125 Eliminator to a 2005 1000RR for 2 weeks then I bought my F4i.

What I found hard was getting used to the brakeson a bikeThe throttle you have to respect, but the brakes require thought and skill. I still (only 7200 road miles so far, I am still a beginner of sorts) practice hard stops on a regular basis and know that I could be alot better at them

Search for the 'newbie mistakes' thread. There are some great stories in there that will save you from dopey tipover scenarios in your garage.

Good luck and stay focused, enjoy thebike.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:55 PM

^ lol, thanks alot for that one! i just read through almost all of those. im sure i'll be able to add to that list. the guy who hit the horn thinking it was the starter (had mostly quad experience) will be me, haha!

Old 04-14-2007, 10:55 AM

get frame sliders. you won't regret cutting holes in your fairing.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:39 PM

I just bought no cut frame sliders for my F4i. trex racing is the brand on ebay. They are easy to install and they look good too.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:04 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

^ becareful with those no cut frame sliders. there is a reason why the ones that best to use you have to cut to install. the no cuts i have seen break off very easy and the whole point of them is to protect your bike. there is a thread on here about them and the pro's vs con's .