F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

finger numbness

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: finger numbness

Periodically when you are riding make sure you can shake your elbows and wiggle your fingers.

Other than that, seat time will cure it. As I said in another thread. Do some back extensions and crunches in your physical fitness routine. When you accelerate or brake, you should be able to steady your body with your legs and core, NOT your arms.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are riding with locked elbows then you are almost certainly riding with too much weight on your hands.

If you find you are having hand pain then either sit up straight (slower speeds) and relax your arms, or at higher speeds bend down more and bend your elbows alot.

I've put some long days on these bikes... the trick has always been - move about, don't grip tightly and take the weight off of your arms.

That being said - good grips and gloves will help you further... I'm running stock grips with no problems... ymv.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:51 PM

loosen off the wrist straps on your gloves, jacket and watchstrap. Yaya I know, but when I sold my 6 and went 954 I had thumblock like crazy and that helped . Plus when your riding try to keep forearm and knuckles level , rather than taking it all in the wrists...good move for long downhills wih passenger too. G out.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:28 PM

Lastly. Adjust your levers. There is a reason they can be rotated on the clipons. You can loosen the mounts and rotate them so your wrists are in a more relaxed position. I actually have mine turned as far forward as possible and not have the master cylinder hit the screen.

It makes a huge difference in comfort and control.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:49 PM

My right hand gets numb as well, but my left never has any problem. I've tried taking weight off my right hand by transferring more load to the left to no avail. How could gel gloves help when it's pretty obvious to me that having to hold open the throttle is 100% the problem? Is it possible that the throttle side is getting more vibration because of the plastic sleeve under the grip vs just having the grip over the clipon on the left side?

Old 08-03-2006, 04:53 PM

How slick are your grips? My old stockers were like ice compared the the progrips I have. Sticky grips mean VERY little pressure to maintain throttle. Also they are a softer gel than the stockers.

Your right will still probably cramp up before your left. That is why they make cruise controls. When you are burning the twisties it isn't an issue because both hands are opening/closing and doing other stuff.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:28 PM

first off, i have/had this problem as well, i just keep it a constant reminder when i go on long trips to wiggle my fingers for a min or 2 every so often also

blackdog, can you please elaborate on how clipons work i guess. I have a problem where my master cylynder hits my screen, well not even my screen but the screw that goest through the screen and the front cowl is scraping the top of my master cylynder its to the point where im ordering a new top soon. i thought it was because i recently replaced all the hexiscrews with a kit i purchased, but there not abnormally long or anything so how can i fix this? can i move the resovior like down or somthing

Old 08-03-2006, 06:34 PM

There are two bolts clamping the brake master cylinder to the clipon. You should be able to loosen these bolts then rotate the master cylinder on the bar. Get the lever to where you can rest your fingers on it without your wrist being all cramped up. Make sure you check it at full steering lock. You don't want the lever or the resivoir to hit bodywork.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:58 PM

sorry for the confusion im in iraq so bare with me im trying to picture ****. I know the 2 bolts your talking about but i thougght this would just rotate the resevoir, thus making it unlevel? and then wouldnt it leak?

Old 08-03-2006, 07:34 PM

so does anyone have a link for these aftermarket gel grips? i dont care what anybody says ebay is not user friendly and i can never find what i am looking for by using the search option. any kind of link to aftermarket grips would be appreciated, also are they hard to install?

Quick Reply: finger numbness