F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

finally took a passanger

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default finally took a passanger

well, i've put 3K miles on my F4i so far and i asked my g/f is she was willing to take a ride down the street to see how it was w/ a passanger. i told her dont get her hopes up, just incase it was harder than i had expected. so i gave her ALL of my gear and i threw on some spare gear i had and a DOT/SNELL approved quad helmet. we went down the street and i was suprised! it wasnt what i had expected. i thought it was much tougher. even at slow speeds making a small U-turn i found i could make it w/ my feet up. we rode around a bit more on back streets near my house and yesterday she ordered her own helmet, gloves, and pants. next week she is ordering a jacket, since for now i make her wear my leather one and i wear the spare textile. then we are going to get her some over the ankle/steel toe boots to wear. i told her since im driving the bike and her safety is basically in my hands i get to choose what she wears, so i told her she has to have gear from head to toe. and she also did a good job of being still on the bike and leaning the proper amount.

i hope no one takes this post as i was being over confident thinking it was cake. i know i have to be extra safe and careful since i have someone elses trust resting in my hands and in the decisions i make. she said she completely trusts me. she has driven behind me many times in her car and knows i dont ride like an ***.

well, im excited that i now will have some company on rides. but at the same time, lol.......i am thinking that all the times i enjoyed riding solo are out the window, lol.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: finally took a passanger

Can I say good job, Jay. You took your time before going two up, and you insist on the passenger wearing respectable gear. If you are going to ride two up on a regular basis, you may want to adjust your suspension settings. The bike is set up for a single rider (about 185 lbs or less [&:]), and the load is much different for a second rider (obviously). I set mine about two clicks firmer, and it still works for me when I ride solo. You can do it yourself with the right tools, or you can have the shop do it.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:11 AM

ha weird i also took someone for a ride today for the first time, same deal for me have had about 3,000miles or so riding and finally felt ready. and yea it wasnt as hard as i thought it would be, could def. feel the diff in the suspension and the girl kept like movin around which made one turn awkward but other than that it was good. still like riding solo better tho

Old 06-14-2007, 04:02 AM

Pop that bitch up and throw her off the back...youll find you can hold a wheelie much easier with someone on the back, from what ive heard...

Old 06-14-2007, 05:05 AM

sometimes... when my gf's mad at me...she doesn't hold onto me at all. (i'm her only form of transportation to school since we have class together). I tell her hold on but she doesn't want to... but all i gotta do is jerk the throttle back real fast and she'll grab on right away. hehe. gotta love having complete control over the passenger.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:39 AM

I admit, I had my first passenger after only 100 miles. But since then, that girl that I gave a ride to gave me more confidence and much more feel for the bike. Ever since then, I've had 5 passengers or so...giving me just enough confidence for the gf...and she loves it.

Not trying to sound high and mighty so early in the get-go. I guess not ever stunting and constant safety pays off in its own way.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:38 AM

ORIGINAL: ddaren

sometimes... when my gf's mad at me...she doesn't hold onto me at all. (i'm her only form of transportation to school since we have class together). I tell her hold on but she doesn't want to... but all i gotta do is jerk the throttle back real fast and she'll grab on right away. hehe. gotta love having complete control over the passenger.
i do that, but if i can tell shes not really holding on or i want her to tighten up ill tap her on the hands before i hit the gas..

Old 06-14-2007, 06:50 AM

Total Control by Lee Parks has some good techniques about riding two up. There's info on u-turns, leaning, good riding positions, etc. Just a heads up.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: voodoochyl

Can I say good job, Jay. You took your time before going two up, and you insist on the passenger wearing respectable gear. If you are going to ride two up on a regular basis, you may want to adjust your suspension settings. The bike is set up for a single rider (about 185 lbs or less [&:]), and the load is much different for a second rider (obviously). I set mine about two clicks firmer, and it still works for me when I ride solo. You can do it yourself with the right tools, or you can have the shop do it.
thanks Voodoo! i'll wait to see how much she's actually gonna be on the bike, then i'll see about following you're advice!. she's super excited though. but yeah, she wasnt planning on getting pants andboots, but i told her that its my choice what she wears, not hers. so she got online the next day andordered the proper gear. just waiting for her to get the leather jacket. until then she willwear mine and i'll wear my textile.she wont be able to ride until NEXT sunday, so i think when the gear comes in (to MY house) middle of next week, i wont tell her. then when she comes over sunday i'll tell her it still hasnt come in yet. that way when she gets to my house she'll be suprised and excited. she's so happy b/c SHE bought the gear, its her purchase/contribution to riding. i think im getting her addicted too, lol.

many good times in the future.........many good rides w/ great company

Old 06-14-2007, 03:24 PM

Now that's a man in love with his bike and his woman, yet both bike and woman get along. Who says three is a crowd?

Can't remember when I started riding 2-up, but its always with full gear.

Thumbs up bro and keep safe.

Quick Reply: finally took a passanger