CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Final Thoughts/Opinions for Sprockets/Chain (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/final-thoughts-opinions-sprockets-chain-106198/)

Da11en47 02-19-2010 11:54 AM

Final Thoughts/Opinions for Sprockets/Chain

Hey everyone I've been on this forum and doing some research online and decided to buy these parts for my 2005 F4i.

GOLD 525 EK MVXZ Motorcycle Chain X-RING

Thrust Company sprockets -1/+2. Front steel, rear aluminum

My only other question that I'm not %100 sure about is with that sprocket change would I need an extra link? My original/stock links are (108). The sales rep. I emailed said I wouldn't need an extra link, but someone told me that I would on this forum, thoughts?

I will try to put some pictures up as I will be attempting to do this project with my father. We are going to build to nice wooden stand, to save some money LOL.

Sick97SS 02-19-2010 12:17 PM

Going off what this guy says on ebay. The -1 +2 sprocket kits uses the stock chain length.

Ebay Link

But no personal expierence. sorry.

Just wondering why did you decide to go with the 525 kit?

and WE LOVE PICTURES!

vangill 02-19-2010 12:19 PM

i just got mine done, ill just tell u what i got and what i think, i got a driven aluminum rear sprocket and a steel front i dunno the brand off the top of my head, i just remeebr the stickers for the big one. i also got an rk xso chain-its an xring. thing is, i went with 520. i thought about it and thought about it, and i would have gone with a a 525, bc they last longer-but my chain has a 20000 mile warranty. im not planning on it lasting that long, but i do think that it will last at least a few years, and im not gonna want to let any chain go much longer than that-im too picky on those things. for what i paid it was well worth it, i got everything for 140 shipped. i went with a reg front and a +5 back, and to be honest, i dont feel a ton of difference, i was expecting craziness tho.
as long as u triangulate your wooden stand it should be fine, i built one and hung my bike from it bc i had to pull my forks, and do my sprockets, i only did one end at a time tho, and the stand worked great.

as long as u have the chain tool, its really easy to break the chain and get it to the right length i ordered my chain with 120 link and cut it to size.

hope that helps

boredandstroked 02-19-2010 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by vangill (Post 885151)
i went with 520. i thought about it and thought about it, and i would have gone with a a 525, bc they last longer

No, they don't. My 525 lasted 16,000 miles. My 520 is at 17,000 now and still going strong. If we had 130+ whp then you might have something but with a f4i it just isen't going to matter.

skoobydoobie 02-19-2010 06:47 PM

OP dont sweat the small stuff. The fact that you are getting the chain and sprockets from the same source means they will send you the right sht. Actually the chain will proly be a lil long and will require the removal of a couple links. For the rest of ya, the 525 chain has a greater tensile strength than the 520. Check on any mfg.'s website to verify. Which means it is stronger, and will require more force to break it. The OEMs (Honda, Yama., Kaw, ect.) spent millions of dollars on research and development to produce a quality (and safe) product, and have concluded that the 525 chain is the best option (for 600s). If the 520 chain was acceptable then our bikes would come from the factory with one. Who would you listen to, an average Joe, or a team of engineers that spent years researching this?

vangill 02-19-2010 10:31 PM

just like everything else with bike parts, theres good and theres crap
theres crap weak 525 chains and 520 chains
there are also good ones
either one if you get a good one you will be fine.
my 520 is rated for like 9000 lbs tensile strength, if i break that, i think i was doing something stupid and deserve it
im not saying 520 is better, i just went with it bc i got a good deal, i think its fine either way if u get good stuff

boredandstroked 02-20-2010 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie (Post 885247)
If the 520 chain was acceptable then our bikes would come from the factory with one. Who would you listen to, an average Joe, or a team of engineers that spent years researching this?

Id listen to myself, who does his own research. Yes stock the f4i uses a standerd 525 chain. They make aftermarket higher tensil strength chains, in which case a 520 has the same strength as a standerd 525.
So why dosen't the oem's use these high strength 520's you ask? Simple, cost.