CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   FI light + sudden RPM Drop (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/fi-light-sudden-rpm-drop-154460/)

Tangolima600 05-19-2016 09:11 AM

FI light + sudden RPM Drop

Hey guys, starting to ride my 04 F4i again after 4-5 months of storage and I'm encountering a new issue and I'm wondering where I should start to troubleshoot.

Bike will start up and run normal without any issue however when I start to accellerate and rpms are going above 5-6k, the FI light will turn on, no flashing, just illuminate for 5-10 seconds and the RPMS will drop to 4k-5k suddenly and almost stall with throttle applied however if I keep going without dropping throttle, it will ride normally until I hit the throttle again. If I let go of the throttle it will stall but still start back up again immediately when I hit the starter while still moving with the clutch in.

I changed out the Cam Chain Tensioner, spark plugs, and replaced with a K&N Filter last season and everything was running fine. I'm wondering since the bike was sitting for a bit that maybe a fuel injector got dirty or something.

Where's a good place to start troubleshooting? Thanks guys

74demon 05-19-2016 03:10 PM

I would start accessing the diagnostic mode and seeing what code is in it.

Tangolima600 05-20-2016 09:30 AM

Sounds like a plan. How do I access the diagnostic mode on the CBR? What Diagnostic tool should I get and where do I interface it?

74demon 05-20-2016 10:21 AM

Jump the diagnostic terminal with a paperclip and count the light flashes.

If you haven't already, download the service manual. It contains all the information on what the code means and how to diagnose it.

Tangolima600 05-20-2016 11:29 AM

I do and I found the part in the manual that points to what you're saying. Great, now I got a place to start. Thanks!

Matthew Brown 03-15-2021 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tangolima600 (Post 1295573)
Hey guys, starting to ride my 04 F4i again after 4-5 months of storage and I'm encountering a new issue and I'm wondering where I should start to troubleshoot.

Bike will start up and run normal without any issue however when I start to accellerate and rpms are going above 5-6k, the FI light will turn on, no flashing, just illuminate for 5-10 seconds and the RPMS will drop to 4k-5k suddenly and almost stall with throttle applied however if I keep going without dropping throttle, it will ride normally until I hit the throttle again. If I let go of the throttle it will stall but still start back up again immediately when I hit the starter while still moving with the clutch in.

I changed out the Cam Chain Tensioner, spark plugs, and replaced with a K&N Filter last season and everything was running fine. I'm wondering since the bike was sitting for a bit that maybe a fuel injector got dirty or something.

Where's a good place to start troubleshooting? Thanks guys

I am having the exact same issue as u did. Did u ever figure out what it was and did u get it fixed?

IDoDirt 03-16-2021 08:57 AM

Did you jump the connector and count the flashes? Reviewed the manual for the meaning of them?