F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

FI light on my car

Old 04-16-2014, 10:19 PM
Default FI light on my car

so this morning as i rolled my bike out of the garage,i turned my bike on and let it idle as i put my helmet on,i always check my tires and brakes before i ride,so as i got on my bike,my FI light was on and wouldn't turn off.so i shut the bike down,turned the key back on and the light would flash 2 times then shut off,and again 2 times then shut off,so i still rode it to work with out any problems,after work i turned bike on and the light was off.anybody have any ideas?

Old 04-21-2014, 06:41 PM

2 blinks means "Loose or poor connection of the MAP sensor vacuum hose/Faulty MAP sensor". What this means is that your manifold absolute pressure sensor (which is a key sensor in the "Speed-Density" system our bikes use for calculating the proper air/fuel ratio) IS sending a signal to the ECU (brain) of the bike, BUT the ECU is having trouble deciphering the signal. I had the same problem on my bike after installing an aftermarket exhaust.

As you may know, the F4i is one of, if not the earliest 600cc Japanese motorcycle to be equipped with electronic fuel injection. It therefore has a relatively basic fuel injection system (the ECU probably has about 1% of the computing power of your cell phone).

The shorter aftermarket exhaust on my bike affected the air flow through the engine in a way that made it difficult for the ECU to calculate the proper air/fuel ratio at idle. When cold, the bike would idle rough and low (between 600 and 1000 RPM) and the "FI" malfunction indicator lamp would come on and give the same two blinks as yours. All I had to do to fix the problem was raise the idle about 200-300 RPM by turning in (clockwise) the idle adjustment **** while the engine was running. The idle adjustment **** is located above and in front of the front sprocket cover (see attached photo). The specification for idle speed from honda is 1200-1400 RPM. If this doesn't solve your problem, you'll have to check your vacuum lines and MAP sensor.

Attached Thumbnails FI light on my car-images.jpg  

Last edited by romoses4; 04-21-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:35 PM

Wow you hit it right on,now that i think about it,i did lower the ilde slightly as i thought it was a lil to high,i raised it back up and problem solved,thanks for your help,i really do appreciate it.