CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   A few questions about my bike??? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/few-questions-about-my-bike-118879/)

cyphion 11-22-2010 06:49 PM

A few questions about my bike???

Hello,

I am a new rider with an 06 CBR F4i, and I have a few questions about my bike, and was hoping that some can help shed some light.

1. What is the round cylinder under the left side of my bike, right under the seat?

2. What are the 3 tubes that run out of the bottom left fairing, right next to the kickstand?

3. If the tool kit was on my bike, where would it be?

And lastly...

4. What do my fellow northeast riders do in the winter to quench the urge of riding short of staring at their bike and reving the engine? :)

And a little about me.

So last summer, I get it in me that I want a bike, and I managed to hold out until october. I had a weekend off from work, so I said what the hell, let me take the MSF course, and that will tell me if I really wanna ride. Despite the instructors really good job of scaring into you the dangers of riding, I found myself in the local bike shop tuesday afternoon, looking at bikes. I went there to look at a Daytona 675 and the sales guy told me that he just took in an 06 F4i on a trade. Even better part was that it only had 212 miles on it. Evidently the poor guy lost his bike in a divorce, and it just sat there at the wifes for a few years. She got sick of looking at it, and traded it. Upshot was that it has a Scorpion Slip-On, Double Bubble, and a few other goodies. So 3 days and $5k later, the bike was on the trailer back to my house.

So that's my story, and I have been trying to get out every nice day to get more and more time in, and now the winter is coming, so the waiting game is on like Donkey Kong. Btw, I'm 27, so my wild days are behind me, and that is why I decided to go with the 600, as opposed to a 250 or the like. I also bought all of my gear, Bell Star helmet, AlpineStars Jacket with the upgraded armor, Shift Shoes (waiting to come in), AlpineStars Octane gloves. I refuse to be a Squid, not my style. :)

Anyway, the forum seems to be a really good community, and has answered a lot of my questions thus far. And I would like to thank all responses in advance, for all the help.

Thanks,

John

Survivalism 11-22-2010 07:38 PM

Not really sure what the cylinder is.. i dont recall their being such a thing under my 02.

Not sure on 2 of the hoses but would like to know this too.. i know one is the coolant overflow hose.

My bike is an 02 but i imagine their is like a plastic "tray" under where the passenger would sit, thats where it should be.

Gear sounds pretty good, get some pants though!!!!! full gear includes pants.

cyphion 11-22-2010 07:46 PM

The pants are to be a christmas gift. So I will have them for the spring. So I am set there.

Thanks,

John

OutlawF4 11-22-2010 07:49 PM

Tool kit-under your seat. Cyclinder-part of your rear shock. The tubes at bottom of fairings are gas over-flow tubes.

yellowcbr 11-22-2010 07:50 PM

The hoses are the overflow hoses, coolant, a gas vent and another one. There is no tool kit on the bike it never came with one. The cylinder is part of the rear suspension and you can adjust how much you want your shock to damper the road. I would say that you man up and if its a warmer day, you let the urge get the better of you and take the bike out for a ride. But if its really cold below 35, let the bike warm up for a while and until the coolant temp to get up above 130 and this is the coolant which takes a shorter time to warm than the oil so you want your oil nice and hot.

Turbulenz 11-22-2010 08:21 PM

Outlaw is spot on.. where in the northeast are ya?

Aken 11-22-2010 08:43 PM

The cylinder is the rear shock fluid reservoir. (It is on all F4i's.)

The tubes are coolant overflow, fuel overflow and fuel breather.

Kuroshio 11-22-2010 09:10 PM

Riding in cold weather is a bit more than "manning up" yellowcbr, especially for a new rider. Cold affects the bike and rider, something experienced riders automatically account for. Cold tires will drop a new rider in a heartbeat. And the cold will sap the strength and slow the responses of someone not used to riding in it quick. Road hazards like black ice and salt.

I'm thinking of putting Ororo up for the winter right now and it was 60 here today. I had planned to buy new tires next season and I'm not liking the response of my current ones in the cold. I've slipped the rear a couple times recently on turns and stops that the Shinkos on my F3 never had a problem with in similar temps. My current tires:

The stock ones that came with my 06 F4i that had less than 2600 miles on them when I got them.

cyphion: ride within your limits. Cold weather riding is a bit trickier than riding on a sunny, 75 degree day. If you feel you're not ready: Don't. At best, find a parking lot and practice. Or ride around the block a couple times so what you learned in the MSF stays in your mind.

wattufaka 11-22-2010 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Aken (Post 990405)
The cylinder is the rear shock fluid reservoir. (It is on all F4i's.)

If you cut the top off a Red bull, ittl slide right over that nicely :)

gotcbr 11-22-2010 09:45 PM

Welcome aboard John. Sounds like you have a nice bike. Kudos to you taking the MSF, I always recommend it. Also, good that you recognize the importance of gear.

There's links on the board here for the factory Honda service manual. Download that & spend some time just reading it. If you're eager to learn about your bike, you'll soak up the information. Even if you have an repair issue that you can't personally take care of, at least you'll have a good idea of what's involved & be more informed.

Lastly, I'll be the one to ask... GOT PICS of your bike? :-)