CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Few options for sprocket and chain opinions? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/few-options-sprocket-chain-opinions-153312/)

Justin Paul Calvin 03-11-2015 10:22 PM

Few options for sprocket and chain opinions?

Hey guys,

I am looking at purchasing a sprocket and chain for my 06 f4i in the future. Nothing to soon however my chain is at the last notch before the "change chain" mark on the swing arm so I am beginning my look for down the road.

Within my search I have come to the conclusion to stay away from Volar and other Chinese made brands. However, I have found a DID chain and sprocket kit for like 150 on bike bandit, I also have found a JT chain and sprockets kit for 118 on bike bandit.

So far bike bandit has been the cheapest I could find because I don't trust Ebay and for some reason it seems their prices are more expensive anyway. Ive seen some EK chain with supersprox however its in the 200 range, and quite honestly I don't have that kind of cash.

In addition does anyone have a speedohealer available because I have to get one of those as well. Im doing a -1 front with a 46 tooth rear, just to bump up the torque a little bit nothing crazy. But I am pretty sure I need one anyway because it always seems like my speedo is way off as it is. (it'll say I'm going 50 in a 40 but I'm not passing cars)

Opinions?

2wheelfury 03-12-2015 09:48 AM

I sell vortex, driven and renthal sprockets. That's all I recommend. To each his own though. As far as chains go stick with an X ring chain. D.i.d, ek, rk are all good brands. Also if you're only going down 1 tooth in the front you really don't need a speedohealer.

boredandstroked 03-12-2015 12:17 PM

If all your concerned with is price then just make sure its a name brand not chinese set, everything else is kinda a mute point. I'm a fan of AFAM steel sprockets and RK chains myself, DID is always way overpriced compared to RK. But I don't buy kits either so who knows.....

Justin Paul Calvin 03-12-2015 01:04 PM

You don't think I need a speedo healer for -1 front? I heard its the equivalaant to +3 rear. With the already way off speedo it won't do much? Hmm, well will it drive down my power band enough to notice?

Justin Paul Calvin 03-12-2015 04:54 PM

OK well that ks for the help guys ended up getting everything separate. Found an RK chain on amazon for 50 bucks x ring standard color. A vortex rear 46 tooth steel sprocket and a JT front 15 t sprocket and a speedo drd to adjust speedo due to change.

boredandstroked 03-12-2015 06:34 PM

Did you stick with 525 or go to 520? I had issues with one of the cheap steel sprocket makers, either JT or sun, they label the 525 sprockets as 520's and I had to get a different brand. Only happened once on a stupid SV650 though.

Justin Paul Calvin 03-12-2015 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked (Post 1286906)
Did you stick with 525 or go to 520? I had issues with one of the cheap steel sprocket makers, either JT or sun, they label the 525 sprockets as 520's and I had to get a different brand. Only happened once on a stupid SV650 though.

According to Bike bandit its 525 sprocket, and I will never go 520, sorry don't like the ideal of less tensile strength simply for a slightly lighter chain. (I don't track ride). The vortex rear sprocket is the black steel one looks kinda cool, and the front sprocket is simply a steel JT sprocket. Im surprised you would have any issues with JT, they are a pretty reputable sprocket maker.

boredandstroked 03-13-2015 05:45 PM

Yeah it was probably sunstar sprockets that gave me the issue. The vortex steel sprockets are really nice I just put one on my girlfriends RR. I wouldn't worry too much about tensile strength, our bikes are only like 95hp at the wheel. Besides, my 520 GXW has more tensile strength the the standerd 525 like what came stock. Normall I'd suggest a 520 conversion simply because the parts are more availible and normally cheaper but you seem to have done ok :)

"A" 03-22-2015 06:27 PM

I have used cheap Chinese 520 conversion kit of gold plated x-ring chain/sprockets combo from eBay.
I have ran it on my 06 F4i, 99 SV650, both bikes had 525 OEM chain & sprockets.
I went +1 front, +1 rear on both kits, only slightly increased the gearing to make speedo closer to actual speed on GPS.
So far, I've put over 6k miles on my SV650 and 4k miles on my F4i.
No issues whatsoever, cost of each kit was approx. 1/2 of the name brand kits.

2wheelfury 03-22-2015 08:33 PM

FYI to anyone looking for sprocket and chain kits you can scoop up a driven sprocket set with an EK gold chain for like $210 which is pretty reasonable.