F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Few new bike questions =D

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few new bike questions =D

Hi all,
Bought a f4i recently and I had a few quick questions on some maintenance and riding.
Name:  hondabike_zps1e69b6d1.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  87.5 KB

What do you use to wash the bike? Do you also use this for the seats.
I bought S100 recommended by the shop guy. Thoughts? Recommendations?

Where on the seat do you sit when riding (cornering, coasting, accelerating, etc..)? And what angle do you lean over your bike?
I usually am hugging against the tank, but when coasting I find this somewhat tiring on the arms over long periods so I try to sit further back and rest on the tank. Though I end up sliding up and down the seat when braking and the sort. Had a ninja 250 before this so I am somewhat used to upright if not mildly leaning.
I'm somewhat small 5'6" may be my problem. Not really sure.

What size is the default sprockets front and rear (how many teeth tooths.. whichever)?

Not sure if my speedo is spitting out a wrong number. I looked around the forum and read that error may be caused by installing different size sprockets to either front or rear. I know the previous owner changed the sprockets, but I'm not sure which size. Would like to know if i am going too slow or too fast on the freeways -.- .

Which rpm/speed do you switch gears in?
Looking at the manual it gives some speeds that you should switch down. I usually switch up after hitting 4-5k rpm and going down I just wing it with feel. Recommendations? Asking because I had to break quickly on one occasion and to assist my front and rear brakes I switched down gears. During this I heard some weird stuff going on to either my drive chain or back wheel. Felt like it was bunching up (if chain) or my wheel was just slipping. I am generally pretty relaxed so nothing much happened besides regaining control and stopping. O.O

What can I do to keep my bike in good condition if I don't have a garage to let it sleep in?
I bought a motorcycle cover, but I have a feeling this may not be enough. Anything anyone can recommend?
[IMG][/IMG]

Those are pretty much the questions that popped in my head after riding on the bike for a few days.

The bike really looks like a wasp/hornet/bee with a tank protector.
Name:  bike_zpsf3e915c9.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  21.6 KB

Thanks for any and all help, recommendations, and advice =]
-Chui

Old 02-22-2013, 06:20 AM

1: i use soap and water, i bought s100 for cleaning nasty crud when i first got her, she sat for 6 years. THEN i use honda polish, super awesome stuff.
2: i sit right behind the tank, and when going, you know, 120+ i'll scoot back and tuck, my current sprocket setup gets to 150 with a quickness but no higher. and i lean my bike over pretty far on roads i know very well.
3: 16/46, yeah 4.5krpm sounds like a good gear change with stock setup, the bike is going to be low on power at 3krpm so dont open the throttle below that. Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator this site is pretty straight forward. in 6th gear at 4000 rpm you should be going 48 mph. and during emergency braking pull the clutch in and don't use the rear brake, because chances are you will slow or lock the rear wheel up.
4: that cover is going to disintegrate within a year, if its at an apartment there isnt much except see if you can hide it under a stairwell. you could buy a car port type tent thing. i dunno much else, except those covers work but are crap in the elements.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sir chui

Where on the seat do you sit when riding (cornering, coasting, accelerating, etc..)? And what angle do you lean over your bike?
I usually am hugging against the tank, but when coasting I find this somewhat tiring on the arms over long periods so I try to sit further back and rest on the tank. Though I end up sliding up and down the seat when braking and the sort. Had a ninja 250 before this so I am somewhat used to upright if not mildly leaning.
I'm somewhat small 5'6" may be my problem. Not really sure.
You should squeeze the tank with your knees. This keeps you from shifting around, which can unsettle the bike. For example, under hard braking, you want to keep your weight back to help keep the rear tire on the ground. Also, locking in with your knees lets you relax your arms more, which keeps you from making unwanted steering inputs and is less tiring. You want a light touch on the bars. When going around a turn, lock in with your outside leg. It feels much more stable.

Which rpm/speed do you switch gears in?
Looking at the manual it gives some speeds that you should switch down. I usually switch up after hitting 4-5k rpm and going down I just wing it with feel. Recommendations?
Depends on the situation. For optimal performance at the track, you upshift when the RPMs are high enough that the power curve tapers off. This is close to redline. For relaxed riding, whatever feels good so the engine doesn't lug and you're comfortable that the engine revs are high enough that you can make a quick acceleration if needed.

Asking because I had to break quickly on one occasion and to assist my front and rear brakes I switched down gears. During this I heard some weird stuff going on to either my drive chain or back wheel. Felt like it was bunching up (if chain) or my wheel was just slipping. I am generally pretty relaxed so nothing much happened besides regaining control and stopping. O.O
Sounds like you failed to blip your throttle to bring RPMs up enough to match tire speed at the lower gear, and your rear tire hopped a bit. You can find plenty of information about this. As you learned, a temporary rear wheel lock up is really no big deal, but with experience you'll become able to engine brake without it happening.

What can I do to keep my bike in good condition if I don't have a garage to let it sleep in?
I bought a motorcycle cover, but I have a feeling this may not be enough. Anything anyone can recommend?
[IMG]
You'll just have to clean and lube the chain more often, since the bike is exposed to moisture even if the cover keeps the rain off. You might get two or three winters out of a cover if you're lucky.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:26 AM

Mother's polish works beautifully on polishing up the pipe and forks... :P give my buddy a few beers and he normally polishes it for me

Old 02-22-2013, 10:30 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Riding right up against the tank can be very upsetting to your man marbles, also. The right kind of bump and WHAM. Sitting further back and using your knees to help maintain that spot is ideal.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Aken
Riding right up against the tank can be very upsetting to your man marbles, also. The right kind of bump and WHAM. Sitting further back and using your knees to help maintain that spot is ideal.
I know T_T I have had the misfortune of riding over a hard bump and taking a few seconds to register and shake off the pain. I usually up front and hug the tank with my knees, but where do you grip your knees when sitting back?

Originally Posted by Munson
You should squeeze the tank with your knees. This keeps you from shifting around, which can unsettle the bike. For example, under hard braking, you want to keep your weight back to help keep the rear tire on the ground.
My problem is when i sit back to break I slide forward since I don't really have a place that I can comfortably grip with my knees.

Originally Posted by RudyGT
3: 16/46, yeah 4.5krpm sounds like a good gear change with stock setup, the bike is going to be low on power at 3krpm so dont open the throttle below that. Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator this site is pretty straight forward. in 6th gear at 4000 rpm you should be going 48 mph. and during emergency braking pull the clutch in and don't use the rear brake, because chances are you will slow or lock the rear wheel up.
Thanks rudy I have checked out the website before, but I'm not knowledgeable on the numbers to put in to the different boxes :/.

Again thanks for the input =]

Old 02-22-2013, 04:48 PM

Stomp Grip Traction Pads - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

Check those out... Makes it a lil easier till your legs get used to gripping the tank

Old 02-24-2013, 10:33 AM

Thanks Halzinky i'll try it out

Old 02-28-2013, 06:30 AM

Alright fella,
I can thouroughly reccomend the Oxford storm guard coverat £60 ish, i got one with my 04 f4i and its great, also in building a garden storage shed that is 7' x 3' and modifying it to make life easier and that was £200... i am in the uk