CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   A few chain questions... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/few-chain-questions-131904/)

CBRken 10-27-2011 09:24 PM

A few chain questions...

So I'm in the market for a new chain, and it's wife approved now =), so I'm getting one ASAP... mine is shot.

525 vs 520?

I see a lot of people converting 2 a 520 setup...why?

any other suggestions are great also!

Thanks,
Ken

jeffjones 10-27-2011 09:30 PM

You will only see a difference in a 520 chain is if you are trying to shave milliseconds off a lap time. They are lighter and wear a tad faster.
Honestly get whatever you feel like as it really doesn't make a noticeable difference off the track.

boredandstroked 10-28-2011 12:08 AM

Price a 520 vs a 525 and you'll see why people convert. 520's are also 10x easier to find if your ever out and about traveling and have a problem. A high strength 520 will last just as long as a standerd 525.

96shox 10-28-2011 02:13 AM

not trying to thread jack but my f4i came with a 520 chain and a relatively new sprocket as well.
Are sprockets made to match the 520 chain or you can put either size chain on the same sprocket?

jeffjones 10-28-2011 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by 96shox (Post 1109752)
not trying to thread jack but my f4i came with a 520 chain and a relatively new sprocket as well.
Are sprockets made to match the 520 chain or you can put either size chain on the same sprocket?

If you want it to seat properly you need 520 sprockets.

Sick97SS 10-28-2011 09:11 AM

Do NOT mis-match 520/525 parts.

There is a S-ton of good info on 520 setups on this forum.

Wife approval for a chain?! lol
If my gf starts complaining about me buying new bike parts i always explain how it's for my "safety" that i upgrade. HIDs = safer, fresh tires = safer, 929 master = safer, new chain = definitely safer, and this usually gets the heat off my back. :icon_goofygrin:

gotcbr 10-28-2011 12:54 PM

Its a good idea to change/replace your sprockets when installing a new chain.

Stock F4i setup...
oem sprocket sizes: 16/46
oem chain size: 525 - 108 link
oem chains: D.I.D & RK

Many of us have done business w/ Sprocket Center . They have nice products & excellent service.

CBRken 10-28-2011 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sick97SS (Post 1109783)
Do NOT mis-match 520/525 parts.

There is a S-ton of good info on 520 setups on this forum.

Wife approval for a chain?! lol
If my gf starts complaining about me buying new bike parts i always explain how it's for my "safety" that i upgrade. HIDs = safer, fresh tires = safer, 929 master = safer, new chain = definitely safer, and this usually gets the heat off my back. :icon_goofygrin:

It's not so much approval, its just letting her know that I'm going 2 be spending a few bucks... Can't wait 2 get my HID's =]

BTW, at some point there was a member lurking around saying he could get good deals on a chain/sprockets Combo...he still around. I could just be crazy tho....

gotcbr 10-28-2011 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by CBRken (Post 1109847)
...BTW, at some point there was a member lurking around saying he could get good deals on a chain/sprockets Combo...he still around. I could just be crazy tho....

Not sure if this is what you're referencing but a few weeks ago... Kipp McGowan - Sales Manager w/ RK Excel America Inc. - offered to any member - a discount certificate for RK chains &/or chains & sprocket kits.

At the time, the discount was 23-30% (depending on application) for CBRF members. Might be worth an email to him to see if it still applies. Here is a quote from his post in another thread...

Originally Posted by RK Excel (Post 1095920)
Any member here that wants to buy an RK chain or RK chain kit, email me directly. Anyone from the forum that sends me an email will receive a discount certificate in return. Subject the email "CBRforum inquiry". I strongly recommend our RK kits. We have many different kits in different size with aluminum or steel sprockets. Tell me the size chain you are looking for and what bike you have, I will give you a couple recommendations. We appreciate your support!

Sick97SS 10-28-2011 03:31 PM

I searched for a while and found the best deal at the time on www.solomotoparts.com sprocks/chain for under 140 shipped.
They have f4i specific kits and will give you many different size/brand/masterlink combo options.