F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Feel like slappin the previous owner...

Old 05-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feel like slappin the previous owner...

So I'm headin home like usual when about 4 or 5 blocks from my house my F4i spits out a spark plug due to over tightening and the plug stripping the thread on the head....nice.
I remember clearly how "proudly" the previous yuppie owner had said "he personally" had done all the bike maintance himself...thanks a lot.....
Anywho, took it to the shop where they charge 80bucks an hour and it turns out they are going to re-tap the head and replace the plug with a bit wider one. (by the way ,this, according to the mechanics is going to be a 4 hour job.....) gatta get paid..i guess.

I was really just concerned if for any reason the wider plug is going to affect engine preformance, and the mechanic assured it would not. so oh well, i'm out close to 300 bucks...

so here's the question, since they will already be re-tapping one of the plugs on the head, do you guys think it wise to just re-tap all four plugs and make them an all wider set or just keep the rest the way they are?

I guess i'm just fearing another four hour job when another stripped plug gets spat out. they have assured me though, that the other plugs are fine.
Insight from other f4i owners is appreciated! thnx.

p.s at least now this gave me more time to spend with my nighthawk..aka Dolly.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:50 AM

Wow sucks to hear that. Just make sure that when you change your plugs next time you're aware of the size differences, and I wouldn't see a reason to change the others, sounds pretty pricey for something you don't absolutely need...

Old 05-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. As long as the run at the same level, not colder. You'll be fine. I say leave them all the way the are, and if you notice some odd firing for some reason, swap em all.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:27 PM

Meh. You can leave those other three in there (I would) but I'd pull them and re torque them first.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would ask how much more to do the other three,most of the labor should be in removing parts ie valve cover or what not.Imo.That way if it were to happen again with the other plugs (hope not) you don't have to pay the full labor again.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:45 PM

It shouldn't take much longer to have them do it. If they're going to be in there anyway I say another hour labor would be fair to tap the other three.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:48 PM

thnx for all the imput everyone.

I guess i'll just let the other three be. but i will tell the mechanics to pull the plugs and torque them correctly.
pulling and re-tapping each plugs cost 11.90, they only charge for the new plug. i guess they " feel bad " already for spending 4 hours on this job ,lol, i guess they had pitty on me, so they agreed to leave the labor fee the same and just charge me 11.90 for each plug and the re-tapping.

Last edited by Joey_f4i; 05-23-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:50 PM

If they're giving you that deal I'd get them all done just to save you tune up hassles with mis matched plugs down the road.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:05 PM

well i would but like everyone else in the world, im strapped for cash these days. i'll save a few bucks, and their labor is insured so its all good.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:07 PM

I think you mean everyone else in the country. lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Feel like slappin the previous owner...