Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fear

Thanks!

Steph

Old 12-26-2005, 09:21 AM

Spaek: Over sight on my part, excellent start with the MSF school. What type of motorcycle did you ride in class, specific ...make....model....cc...final grade?

Old 12-27-2005, 08:32 AM
Banned

I know how you feel to some degree. I'm 42 years old and NEVER rode a bike before November of this year. My apprehension on the road was based in fear of the cars around me and my lack of experience with a bike's controls. All I can say is don't push it, but the more you become comfortable with the bikes controls the more brain power can shift to keeping yourself alive on the street and the time between enjoying the ride and fear of everything reaches a better balance.

I am wondering, are you a sports car driver or a SUV type? That may shed some light on your comfort level in traffic in a small vehicle. Motorcycling may not be for you at all, that is a real possibility, give it 1000 miles and if you aren't happy with it, go buy a Honda S2000, it is fairly close to a bike but with much more survivability.

Old 12-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Retired Administrator

I was reading over some of the replies here... all seem good. But, for the love of god... STAY away from traffic and highways until you have the confidence. Confidence, not cockiness, is one of the biggest skills all good riders have. Cagers (cars/trucks) will intimidate the hell out of you making it worse. I hate to say it... but I'm an aggressive rider/driver so I've never felt fear in traffic. What I think might help is to have a couple experience riders to sort of box you in. That way you are represented in front and rear and might feel safer.

Forgot to ask: Where do you live at? I would be more than happy to meet up with you and ride shotgun so to speak. But... no one on here lives around me so I'm sure you're not either. My point is, ask... someone here might live close by and can help you out.

Second edit: I looked at your profile, Rancho Santa Margarita CA. Come on west coasters... help a guy out.

Old 12-27-2005, 11:37 AM

I agree with project. Find some experience riders to ride with.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:29 PM

My advice is to not watch any videos of people doing stupid stuff like wrecking their bikes doing wheelies and crap.

Other than that, use your fear... it will keep you safe. Respect the road and the cars around you. Expect the unexpected, stay off city streets for a while. You'll get over it in a while.

I told myself for years that you couldn't pay me to ride a street bike, even after riding quads and dirt bikes all my life. Last year at age 31 I said what the hell, and bought the same bike you did. I think it's a great starter. Nice choice.

Be safe.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:34 PM

advice taken............

Old 01-19-2006, 11:34 PM

Coolest Dad ever.. My dad and I always talked about riding together.. Then he got really whipped by my mom.. Something inside him died.. But I see the flicker in his eye whenever I ride over to the house on my 05 Silver F4I..lol.. poor bastard.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:49 AM

I bought my '05 F4i this past August and took the course afterwards. I only ride on the weekends and still have a bit of fear before getting on the bike. After I head off, fear is gone and excitement sets in. Then I don't want to stop, just keep on going.

I got over the initial fear of traffic when I did a few loops around the neighborhood practicing stops, starts, shifting, etc. One day I hit the reserve and had no choice to venture off in traffic to get gas. Went for a 20 mile ride from the gas station. )

Another thing that helped me, but I'm not sure how willing you are to do this, is ride on the back of an experienced rider to get the feel of being in traffic. You'll find that it isn't much different from driving your car in traffic, except to me seems like I have better visibility to be able to prevent things from happening. Sometimes when I get the anxiety, I'll ride on the back of my man's 1000rr on the freeway and street and get the motivation again to ride on my own. Another thing is like others have said, to have someone experienced ride with you to "cover" you behind and to the sides.

Don't ever feel pressured like you're holding anyone back. Once you build your confidence and skills by riding more, then you'll be right with them in no time. They were all new once and most likely didn't have what they are offering to you if they're willing to ride at your pace.

Think of it this way, you took the MSF course, passed, got your license which is more than alot of the people in my class did, so that means you should be capable. You know mostly of what to look out for from the class and how to "look ahead" to prepare yourself.

If you find that it's not for you, but still want to ride with your son, then as others suggested... take it to the track.

Are you afraid also of what so many people tell you about dropping your brand new bike?
I've heard that soo many times and already tipped her over, but no big deal. Pissed at first at myself, but it may or may not happen to you. Also had even the MSF instructor giving me crap about buying a brand new 600cc bike as a first without riding previously, but once I got on the bike, seemed like it handled better than the bikes they provided.

Well good luck to you and your son. Hope you get past the fear that holds you back and learn to enjoy the ride!

Old 01-22-2006, 06:33 PM

I moved down from the sticks of NC to a very busy Orlando, Florida. I've been riding in traffic for 3 weeks now and Red Hooter's "Don't ever feel pressured like you're holding anyone back" is a great point. If you are feeling pressured it can unnerve you and cause you to do silly ****. I can't tell you how many times I stalled my bike when a red light turned green because I was worrying about slowing someone behind me up. Ride within your limits, you have as much right on the street as a car driver.