F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Favorite Oil & Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Favorite Oil & Oil Filter

Wondering what people picked as their favorite for oil, and oil filters?

I'm going to be changing the oil on my 2001 F4i before winter here and wanted to know what oil and oil filter to use.

I personally would lean towards K&N for the filter, but that's just because of my automotive background. I'm not sure if they are the best for bikes.

I see Fram is also popular, along with the OEM.

Oil is the other aspect, should I go full synthetic? Does the brand matter?

Old 11-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Zeranoe,

This question comes up quite often. Be sure to search for the other threads offering this advice. There's lots of feedback on these topics. ;-)

Personally, I use OEM Honda filters. They are excellent quality.
As for oil, I tend to use Pro Honda GN4 10w40 or Rotella T.

There are many acceptable options out there. It all really comes down to preference.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:11 PM

The K&N filters are 'hi flow' and thus don't filter as much as others. I do like that they have a hex nut on the end for easy removal. Fram is cheap and I've heard they have cardboard caps in the top that disintegrate over time. Personally, I use a Bosch automotive filter that has the same form factor as the bike's filter. They have been shown to filter very well.

For oil I usually use conventional Castrol 4 stroke oil because I like to change the oil frequently (2-3k miles), but I'm stepping up to some synthetic blend next time. Getting a case of it through work for pretty cheap. Like $4 per quart

Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by svek
The K&N filters are 'hi flow' and thus don't filter as much as others. I do like that they have a hex nut on the end for easy removal. Fram is cheap and I've heard they have cardboard caps in the top that disintegrate over time. Personally, I use a Bosch automotive filter that has the same form factor as the bike's filter. They have been shown to filter very well.

For oil I usually use conventional Castrol 4 stroke oil because I like to change the oil frequently (2-3k miles), but I'm stepping up to some synthetic blend next time. Getting a case of it through work for pretty cheap. Like $4 per quart
Thanks a lot for the feedback svek. Does the lack of filtering really cause issues over time? Do the benefits of having a hi flow filter outweigh the additional wear that might be sustained?

Thank you gotcbr, I will make sure to search more thoroughly next time.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:15 PM

I recently switched to shell rotella t6 5w-40, it was kinda hard to find but well worth it. I did a seafoam clean on my bike and switched to that and it was somewhat different, shifting was smoother but it's just oil, I used to pay upwards to 60-80 for oil, spending less then $35 now and I love it. It's not like a kawi or anything, hondas last forever! Hahaha

Old 11-05-2012, 10:37 PM

I bought a fram ultra (nicest fram there is)once for my bike, after my oil change I was riding and smelled cooking oil and thought "ok, whos got a classic car in front of me?" well all the cars were new so I leaned down by the gas tank and took a whiff, bingo it was my bike. I knew I had not messed up my oil change in any way shape or form, I still had the proper level of oil in the window, yet I could see oil on the bottom of the filter. So I pull the fairings, and wipe the filter and all the oil "seep". I then start the bike and watch oil seep slowly from the base of the filter. the oil was coming from the "rolled edge" on the bottom of the oil filter not from the rubber gasket area. There was a tiny pin hole in the filter at the base like some kind of factory flaw. Long story short im done with fram filters and I still have that damn filter on my desk at work. I have considered writing fram about this incident but im thinking all they would offer is more junk filters that I dont want.
True story.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by chute
I recently switched to shell rotella t6 5w-40, it was kinda hard to find but well worth it. I did a seafoam clean on my bike and switched to that and it was somewhat different, shifting was smoother but it's just oil, I used to pay upwards to 60-80 for oil, spending less then $35 now and I love it. It's not like a kawi or anything, hondas last forever! Hahaha
I'll keep that in mind, thanks! How was it hard, The process of changing over?

Originally Posted by Dirtie6er
I bought a fram ultra (nicest fram there is)once for my bike, after my oil change I was riding and smelled cooking oil and thought "ok, whos got a classic car in front of me?" well all the cars were new so I leaned down by the gas tank and took a whiff, bingo it was my bike. I knew I had not messed up my oil change in any way shape or form, I still had the proper level of oil in the window, yet I could see oil on the bottom of the filter. So I pull the fairings, and wipe the filter and all the oil "seep". I then start the bike and watch oil seep slowly from the base of the filter. the oil was coming from the "rolled edge" on the bottom of the oil filter not from the rubber gasket area. There was a tiny pin hole in the filter at the base like some kind of factory flaw. Long story short im done with fram filters and I still have that damn filter on my desk at work. I have considered writing fram about this incident but im thinking all they would offer is more junk filters that I dont want.
True story.
Ok, so Fram is out now haha. Thanks for that input, have you tried K&N at all?

At least you got a paperweight with some memories tied to it

Old 11-05-2012, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Zeranoe
Thanks a lot for the feedback svek. Does the lack of filtering really cause issues over time? Do the benefits of having a hi flow filter outweigh the additional wear that might be sustained?
That I can't tell you. Most people don't have their bike long enough to find out, either. But why pay more for a K&N if you know it doesn't filter as well? I use a bosch part #3300 available at any auto store

Old 11-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Why not use a Honda filter? They aren't that much and have the correct pressure valve inside.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Why not use a Honda filter? They aren't that much and have the correct pressure valve inside.
Personally, because I get bosch OFs for $2. Is the pressure valve an issue if you use an automotive filter? I know people that use them and have been using them myself with no apparent issues

Quick Reply: Favorite Oil & Oil Filter