F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fastest way to change a rear sprocket.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fastest way to change a rear sprocket.

It seems pretty easy in theory. Put the bike on a stand, take out the rear nut, maybe remove the rear caliper and pull off the tire after removing the link in the chain.

What I would like to do is be able to do this in 30 minutes or less. I use my bike for alot of daily driving and do a little test and tune every Friday..
I'm trying to improve my ET times and still be able to take a cruise to Chicago when I feel like it.
I know they say "replace everything together because it all wears together" and that's all fine. It seems like replacing the front sprocket while doing the rear doesn't seem like that much more work.. Maybe even FASTER...
I talked to one guy at work who says his buddy has changing the rear sprocket down to about 10-15 minutes.Is he exateratting?
I guess my question is this.. Would it be faster to just replace the front or do I still have to remove the rotor from the rear if just doing the front? How many extra steps are involved in doing the front when doing the rear?? Is doing the front or rear only faster? Any shortcuts I can take by swapping out just one sprocket??
If I do swap the front during the week I will buy the whole assembly plus a stock front one just to keep everything "wearing the same"....Same with if I do only the rear....I'll either be doing two down in the front or 5 up in the rear....and yes I will have two chains so that I can just bolt the sprocket up and go...Thanks in advance.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Default RE: Fastest way to change a rear sprocket.

Depending on what kind of bike you have, changing the front sprocket is a lot easier and quicker than the rear. You don't have to even remove the rear wheel, just loosen the axle nut and adjust the bolts forward to give the chain some slack so you can remove the front sprocket. 15 minutes isn't exaggerating at all. It can be done. The biggest pain in the *** is getting the wheel back in again. However, if you're planning on doing this more than once and it sounds like you are from your post, then realize that unless you're replacing the sprockets with stock ones or you're going only one tooth down or up on the front one, you're gonna have to have a new chain because it won't adjust enough to accomodate for a larger or smaller rear sprocket.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really should always change all 3 out together chain n both sprockets. If you just change one it will cause premature wear to all three afterwards.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:49 PM

So it sounds like the front is faster to swap out that the rear even with having to swap chains correct?? will the front sprocket free spin if the transmission is in neutral?? Been thinking about buying a cordless impactoff theMatco truck anyways, so this could justify the purchase.
Zero I know I will have to change the chain with the sprocket, and that's not a big deal. I'm just going toget two chains with a removeable link and take it apart everytime.
Playfulgod, I will replace all 3 at the same time, but plan on buying an additional gear and longer chain either -2 in the front or +5 in the rear (which ever is quicker to change) just for test and tune on Friday nights....That additional gear and chain won't see much wear and tear so the othergear shouldn't wear to much with the longer chain and smaller (or larger sprocket)

Old 09-17-2007, 09:27 PM
February 2009 ROTM

What are you running 1/8 mile?

Old 09-17-2007, 10:41 PM

not sure the 2 chain idea is so great. clip links aren't very strong or reliable in the first place, so obviously removing and re attaching the clip over and over doesn't help matters

rear sprockets are "easier" to change than front, just pop off the axel nut pull the wheel out, swap the sprockets, put the wheel back in, adjust the chain, torque axel nut. Takes just a few minutes, no need to remove the brake caliper

why don't you just run a -1 front sprocket and just swap rear sprockets? that would allow you to use the same chain and make the whole process much easier

Old 09-18-2007, 12:06 AM

oddie, no 1/4...my 60" is killing me...Best 1/4 is 11.349.All stock...I figured best way to get that 60" below1.8 was get to my torque curve quicker.. I figured I could still hit 125 in 5th maybe 6th gear with the sprocket change..where I would probably run out of track anyways..Then again 4.11:1 was way to tall a gear behind my T5 in my 89 mustang, actually ran better times with a 3.73:1....Maybe I'm going to extreme?
Woody, I kind of like that idea..I suppose I would need to get used to the gearing on the interstate/backroads...,Maybe that's what I'll do...This way I could "experiment" with what gear I like better...
To keep the same chain I could go +2 on the rear right.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:03 AM

in theory you could go anywhere from +2 to +4 in the rear and keep the same chain with a -1 front sprocket if your axle is currently in about the middle of the adjustment area. Its really something you have to try out and see

Old 09-18-2007, 12:22 PM

Idk about the speed of changing that fast. You still have to remove the rear bolts on the sprocket to remount them to the new one. And that takes 15 minutes to do by hand and at least 7-8 with an air gun. And you need two people to change out with taking off the wheel and resetting your axle. Unless you are really good.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:34 PM

2 people? lol

I definately got my rim off in like 2 minutes. And I can get it on in 7-8 minutes not even.

Quick Reply: Fastest way to change a rear sprocket.