F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fan wiring issue (Ignition and fan-mod)

Old 03-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan wiring issue (Ignition and fan-mod)

Hey all. I've got a situation with my fan and I'm almost certain it's with my wiring. It's pretty basic electronics but I can't figure out what I should do.

I just installed a new ignition switch for the bike, a three prong (power, acc, ground) DPDT switch I think. It looks pretty sweet because I took an old front sprocket and polished it, with this missle safety switch mounted in the center. Anyways, I have the ground (Blue) wire hooked up to ground prong, the constant power to the power prong, and the red/black (going to power the bike when switched on) hooked to the middle ACC prong. Don't worry about the pink wire. So my fan was working just fine, now it isn't. I have another switch on my handlebars hooked up for the fan-mod. It isn't cutting the fan on either. The grounds are properly grounded, the fuses are fine. If I run a wire from the + terminal of the battery to the + wire of the fan it will kick on just fine. So I measured the voltage of the wire going to the fan-mod switch and it matches the + voltage of the battery, but, when I flip the switch the voltage drops by half. Both the ignition switch and fan-mod switches have a small red light on them, when I flip the fan-mod switch they both become dimmer. I feel like I wired the ignition switch incorrectly, and possibly ended up wiring something in series. Could the small lights in each of the two switches be causing the fan to run in a wiring series at half voltage and not cut on? The ignition switch dims when the fan-mod switch is on. Also, at the ignition wiring harness, the blue striped wire seems to be the ground wire.. yet the fan also has the same color coded wire but is where the current comes from. If I pull the + lead out a tad from the connector at the fan, and run a + line from the battery to it the fan will cut on but also the speedo and lights even if the ignition is off. So this may be obvious to some but it's confusing the heck outta me, I'd be very grateful for any help on this. I feel like it's staring me in the face but I can't see it.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:02 AM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a wiring diagram? The wire on the ignition switch (blue with orange) and on the fan (blue with black) are obviously different. On the fan,its going to be the green ground wire that runs tot he connector. The fan has the black wire connected with ground connector coming from other side of the connector if that makes sense. Perhaps you just wired that wrong. Check the voltage. I will try to check for you. Think you may have stole power from somewhere. It is also possible you have a short somewhere. Anytime you mess with electrical you need to be careful to re cover any exposed wiring. Possibly check continuity between some connections.

-Poss