CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Fan switch (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/fan-switch-114317/)

Sinatra 07-25-2010 05:45 PM

Fan switch

So i bought my bike customized.. and it was a manual switch for the fan, the guy told me to flick it on when the bike get up to around 195-200... I find that quite annoying for some reason and would want to revert back to automatically switch on at those temperatures. Any one can help me with that?

Thanks

yellowcbr 09-02-2010 07:33 PM

The fan behind the radiator should come on manually at 220 F. I your bike gets hitter than this and you dont turn on the fan you run a huge risk of overheating and burning up your engine and should cut off your bike to stop the engine from getting any hotter. If you live in the desert or the south then in the summer your fan will probally come on when your sitting at a stop light, mine does when its around 90-95 outside but once i start riding again the temp goes down

bleheny 09-02-2010 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sinatra (Post 950384)
So i bought my bike customized.. and it was a manual switch for the fan, the guy told me to flick it on when the bike get up to around 195-200... I find that quite annoying for some reason and would want to revert back to automatically switch on at those temperatures. Any one can help me with that?

Thanks

Do you have any idea how he has it wired? Also, normally when this is done it is wired so you are able to turn the fans on manually but also still functions as stock if you don't turn them on when the bike gets to temp. Have you ever let it get up to temp to see if the fan still kicks on?

cbr900racer77 09-03-2010 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by bleheny (Post 962893)
Do you have any idea how he has it wired? Also, normally when this is done it is wired so you are able to turn the fans on manually but also still functions as stock if you don't turn them on when the bike gets to temp. Have you ever let it get up to temp to see if the fan still kicks on?

Exactly. Hopefully he had the sense to just tap into factory wire with a switched ground. Look on left side tank and see if wire is still plugged into thermoswitch. With his homemade switch turned off and key on, unplug wire and touch metal connector to a ground. If fan comes on, it's still wired up to come on automatically.

bleheny 09-03-2010 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by cbr900racer77 (Post 962911)
Exactly. Hopefully he had the sense to just tap into factory wire with a switched ground. Look on left side tank and see if wire is still plugged into thermoswitch. With his homemade switch turned off and key on, unplug wire and touch metal connector to a ground. If fan comes on, it's still wired up to come on automatically.

I have noticed over the years that most people don't have the sense to do things the right way. Prime example is the guy I bought my bike from... All of the wiring he did was just twisted together and he used blue painters tape to wrap the bare ends. There were no butt connectors, taps, etc. I still have no idea how everything worked. I got the bike for so cheap I couldn't pass it up.

cbr900racer77 09-03-2010 03:22 PM

Well, in the case of a fan switch...it's actually easier to do it the right way so hopefully that's what he/she did.

bleheny 09-03-2010 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by cbr900racer77 (Post 963103)
Well, in the case of a fan switch...it's actually easier to do it the right way so hopefully that's what he/she did.

Yep...