CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   fan mod (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/fan-mod-129215/)

tyfrist 08-04-2011 11:04 PM

fan mod

well i'd like to just go ahead and have my fan running all the time because it gets too hot during the summer between my legs and i'd like for the engine to stay cool to run optimally.

now can i just cut out the sensor and just splice them back together? or what?

and for making the bike run cooler, draining and adding new coolant along with engine ice. anything else you guys recommend??

p.s. tried to search for this but fan is too short or common of a word?? i thought 3 letters was sufficient to search and how is fan too common?

madman 08-04-2011 11:25 PM

1 - I would imagine this would be a big strain on your electrical/charging system and I can't say for sure but would probably drain your battery.

2 - You don't want the bike to take forever to warm up anyway, it needs to be up to temp to run right (it would take forever to warm up this way as the weather cools down).

3 - Seriously? Even at 220 in traffic it's not that bad. It's probably worse if you're squidding out with shorts and flip flops because with jeans/boots/leather jacket I hardly feel the heat at all.

4 - Start taking side roads and just try to keep the bike moving. Go ahead and try engine ice or redline or whatever but basically the more water (distilled) you run, the better.

jacksla3 08-05-2011 08:44 AM

You definitely wouldn't want to just wire it on constantly. Although I have had this thought too. A small thumb switch that would turn on the fan but still let it come on automatically would be nice. You could wire a switch with one side connected to the fan's power wire, and the other side connected to a constant 12v source. Look for a wiring schematic it shouldn't be too hard.

coolcloo 08-05-2011 09:58 AM

I just wired mine to be on all the time for the summer because lately its been in the high 90's. Just pull the single wire off of the radiator on the left side of the bike near the bottom. Take a small piece of wire and connect it to that wire you unplugged and then hook the other end to a good ground. It will be on as long as the key is on. I wouldn't idle for long though as the charging system doesn't really charge when idling and the fan draws a lot of power.

MadHattr059 08-05-2011 02:45 PM

The whole point of the fan is when the bike is NOT moving. There isn't any extra gain
if it's running while the bike is moving (in fact, since it's blowing in the opposite
direction of moving air, it might actually impede air flow). The temp swich only kicks it
on when the bike needs the extra air flow. Unless the temp switch is broke, I recommend
you don't fix it.

Ern's 2 cents

Sick97SS 08-05-2011 02:56 PM

Splice a wire into the temp sensor on the rad and then connect to ground, then run a switch up and mount somewhere near triple or in air duct cover holes.

This allows you to turn the fans on when you want, yet have them automatically turn on as designed if you don't flip the switch

Fans on all the time is not only unnessesary but a bad idea because it restricts air at highway speeds as stated before.
ps. the fan pulls the air through the rad front to back

itlnF4I 08-05-2011 03:02 PM

the fan is not only for when the bike isnt moving, unplug your fan and ride at 40mph behind a car or truck and see how hot your bike gets. it comes on any time the temp gets too high, riding or stopped. now i was wondering why in the hell anyone would want a bike running at 220, my fan is on a switch and pretty much stays on for the most part (in florida during the summer) during the cold months sometimes i dont even have to turn it on at all. mine never gets over 190ish unless im in traffic and cant help it. engine ice or water wetter helps a ton

Lamar Vannoy 08-08-2011 12:31 PM

The thermal switch for the fan just completes the ground. I wired that to a switch which just grounds it out and the fan comes on. If you use this too much it will drain your battery though. A few weeks ago I used it a ton in stop and go traffic and next time I went to ride the battery didn't have enough juice to turn over. I am running all LED lights with a 35w HID too so there is less draw from that stuff.