CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Fan control device (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/fan-control-device-104586/)

yog182 01-06-2010 02:01 PM

Fan control device

So perusing Ebay i came across a fan control device.. I read the little description on how you can save on the engine and gain or keep horse power. What do you all think? Is this just a gimmick or would it be worth looking into.. Most of my commutes i have to hit city traffic and in the dead of summer it will sit with the fan on most of the time due to it sitting at 220. Here is the link that i found.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...Q5fAccessories

Sick97SS 01-06-2010 03:44 PM

Almost $100 HAHAHA!

#1. You can go to radioshack and make the same exact thing for $10 max.
#2. It's completely useless so why waste time in radioshack anyways.:icon_doh:

He has sold quite a few of them on there judging by his feedback. But I call those buyers "suckers".

They're some jokers on ebay that that sell "horsepower boosters" for my car as well for 40$. Turns out its a 20 cent resistor that you plug into your IAT (intake air temp sensor) to fool your computer into thinking its cold outside and advances your timing. It might give you another 2 horsepower but screws your gas milage and A/F mix.

By having your fan "always running" on the bike is not going to be a noticible gain at all. Use that money and get a powercommander!!

yog182 01-06-2010 03:58 PM

Well im all on your band wagon for idiots that sell the booster.. He may be advertising this for that.. i am more asking the question is running the fan all the time better for the engine.. Or at least in heavy traffic... I would never buy his as i have the **** at home to do it.. just looking to see if this would be a worth while mod over the winter.

ID_CBRRider 01-06-2010 07:32 PM

Superstreetbike did an article on these Xs Booster fan control. All it does is give you the option of turning your fan on manually. The nice thing to these is it doesn't interupt the normal function of the stock fan switch. Running this fan in stop and go traffic can keep your bike around 180 degrees instead of sailing up over 220 and "possibly" doing any harm to your motor. As for the HP increase...nope Other than your bike will perform better when it's not overheated. But hell do the clean air mod and you won't have that problem either.

vangill 01-07-2010 12:18 AM

i think as long as your thermostat is working right and you temp sensor is good you shouldnt have any problems overheating sorry for stating the obvious.....

yog182 01-07-2010 07:35 AM

Vangil.. Its not the point of the thread.. Im talking performance and life of an engine.. There is nothing wrong with my bike im just looking to help it out as much as i can....

backroad 01-17-2010 12:25 PM

A better alternative than the manual switch is to install a lower temp fan switch. I was surfing around and found that a switch for an '83 Nissan Pulsar will work. Just go to your local Advance Auto Parts store and ask for part # TFS517. Autozone's part # SW524 is also supposed to work, but I used the one from Advance.

Just take the old one out, swap the o-ring onto the new switch, then install it. Do this with the engine cold and have someone there to hold their finger over the hole in the radiator while the switch is out. Leave the radiator cap on so as not to create a vent and you won't lose 2 tablespoons of coolant. The new switch will have 2 wires terminating in a plug instead of a single spade terminal. Clip the wires close to the plug and crimp a male spade terminal onto one of the wires (doesn't matter which wire as it just completes a ground to energize the fan), then plug the wire from the bikes fan onto it. Splice an 8-10" piece of wire onto the switch's other wire. Crimp a ring terminal onto the other end of it and attach it to the top fan bolt along with its existing ground wire.

My fan is now on at 212, off at 197 instead of on at 225, off at 220. It's also a lot more comfortable to ride in traffic because the fan cycles on for a shorter time, which means I get less hot air blown up into my face.