F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i wonít start. Fuel issue? Spark issue? Please help

Old 07-03-2018, 06:26 PM
Default F4i wonít start. Fuel issue? Spark issue? Please help

So I have an f4i thatís moderately stunted out that I bought used. Itís a 2002 and itís just been one thing after another with this bike.
Recently Iíve come across an issue after a recent drop where I had to change the throttle cable and I had to take off the whole fuel pump to get out a coin my dumbass friend dropped in the tank.
I started getting a small gas leak from the bolts for the fuel pump and it seemed like I had to order a new gasket according to these forums.
I also had to replace the battery because it was straight up dead.
Now I have yet to put on the new gasket, but the bike wonít start up with the new battery. Iím waiting to put the new gasket on in case I have to replace the fuel pump or something. But Iím not thinking the small leak would affect the bike not starting.
It turns over and almost starts up but just doesnít quite get there. Iím not sure if itís a spark issue, or a fuel issue. Iím guessing fuel, but I have no idea where to start. Any advice??
Sorry for the long *** explanation.
Hereís a link to a video of what it does when I try to start. (
)

Old 07-04-2018, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

I'd start by checking the fuel pump. Confirm that it's kicking on

Also from painful experience, make sure to keep that new battery topped up. Cold-cranking will kill motorcycle batteries super quick. I keep an old truck battery for troubleshooting

Old 07-05-2018, 07:42 PM

Confirm fuel pressure. If thats fine confirm it sparks.