CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   F4i Will not start - Recent Rainstorm - Strange Symptoms (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/f4i-will-not-start-recent-rainstorm-strange-symptoms-131646/)

Timmy_Jones 10-16-2011 09:47 PM

F4i Will not start - Recent Rainstorm - Strange Symptoms

Need some help guys!

A few weeks ago, bike was outside (as it always is) and the wind blew my cover off (HURRAY) and it poured rain (a few inches) all night and morning. So, i go outside and grab my cover and put it back on the bike. Fast forward one day and I ride it to work (everything is fine).

Get out of work, key in ignition and turn the key (no fuel pump or anything else, yet)...my headlight is buzzing VERY loud (yes I have HIDs, and yes I had them for about a year so far). So I fire up the bike and drive away, and ride to the gym. (to and from work is 15 miles, the gym is about an extra 2). So I get to the gym, workout and come out...key in ignition and the same loud buzzing and flickering, so I start the bike and rev it a little...headlight shuts off (not good). I ride home and cannot get the HID to work, oh well, I will check it out tomorrow.

So the next day (day 3 now) I go outside and nothing works....at all. So I try and jump the bike and it will start to turn over, but nothing. So I figure the battery is dead. I also find a popped fuse for the headlight and replace it (not sure if this is coincidence or not) Leave it on a trickle charger for a few hours and try to start the bike...same weird buzzing from the headlight and it starts to turn over (it is getting gas, I can smell it) but it will not just catch and start. So I try jump starting again...nothing.

Day 4 now, I replace the battery, even though mine is about 14 months old (friend has an F4i with a new battery) and check all fuses and they are fine....try and the bike acts the same. Weird buzzing from the headlight and starts and tries to turn over, but nothing. SO I unplugged the HID altogether and nothing...tries to fire, but it can't.

Here I am today - stuck and out of ideas. I know the bike has gas, I can smell fuel and the pump primes like a champ. But it just will not catch, it sounds like the starter is just kind of free spinning and not grabbing the motor to start it. Any ideas?? Anyone? tried to list the weird symptoms and my best at troubleshooting. Any help would be awesome, I feel awful, like I killed my own bike. Any other fuses to look for? Wires? What could be wet? It has been a week now and it will not start. NO FI error lights either.

comodidit 10-17-2011 01:01 AM

I had the same buzzing issue after fixing a fuel pump issue.

Grey wiring harness,left side of forks * , probably 20 pins or so, has a little rubber cover on it. Pull it apart, check the pins/receptacles. Mine had some corrosion and a few were loose. you can pull the receptacle out and tighten it with a pair of pliers (be gentle) if it only seems to be making partial connection. Check for water in there too. Could be causing a short somewhere.

Good luck.

* Mine was on the left, but the bike had bubbagump wiring work done before I bought it. Possible it's supposed to be on the right.

estate4life 10-17-2011 01:54 AM

1. Try's to crank but don't fire up? Can some rain water be in the gas tank?

2. Buzz sound...you know it's a short somewhere? Find it.

Drains the tank, refuel. While your at it, check sparks, check fuse, check all connection, corrosion?

jeffjones 10-17-2011 09:56 AM

I get the exact same buzzing from my HID's, Has been doing it for over a year and no problems.

Timmy_Jones 10-17-2011 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones (Post 1107435)
I get the exact same buzzing from my HID's, Has been doing it for over a year and no problems.

Mine always buzz a little bit, but this is like bug zapper loud.

Must be a short...no idea where to even start.

Estate - any hints/tips/clues?

Comodidit - thanks man, I will check there.

estate4life 10-17-2011 05:31 PM

Bro..check out this thread relating to rain storm:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-9...-start-129740/

be patience & you'll solve problem, i know this sound stupid but when I drop my flip phone into the toilet & it gets all soak? what happens...I can't start it, but I wait, air dry, then it works again LOL...

Last time my bike got soak in rain, I don't even bother to start bike, I push into my garage, strip down, use a hair dryer & dry off all excess moisture. I then let is sit for a week or two before start... If you start bike with moisture in any connection, it'll cause a short.

I take oppitunity when bike is strip down, to clean, tune, change oil ditto, do all the good stuff... but one particular time, bike still won't fire up...only cranking?? found out water in tank...so i drain it & then refuel...fire up fine afterward.

your problem is a short somewhere, find it.

Keep us update & keep posting what you find...

Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones (Post 1107530)
Mine always buzz a little bit, but this is like bug zapper loud.

Must be a short...no idea where to even start.

Estate - any hints/tips/clues?

Comodidit - thanks man, I will check there.

estate4life 10-17-2011 05:42 PM

Also check this link:

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...ing-again.html

Gotta get all information from all source an try to solve problem...even if it's a Kawa

beeniesfoams 10-19-2011 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by estate4life (Post 1107545)
Also check this link:

It got rained on, and than wouldn't start. Dryed out ran ok. poured water on it, stop working again.

Gotta get all information from all source an try to solve problem...even if it's a Kawa

:icon_wink: