F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

No start problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start problem

I just came into possession of a 2002 F4i and joined the forum for some help. One of my kids "helped a friend" by co-signing on this bike. A few years ago the bike was parked outside of the owners apartment when someone stole the headlight assembly and side fairings. There was no insurance and the owner didn't have the money to fix the bike so he stored it in his mother's garage. He was paying on the loan until recently when he lost his job and could not pay anymore, which means it fell to my kid. In an effort to help out, I paid off the bike with the intention of reselling it. Other then the missing parts, it's in nice condition and has a clean title since there was no insurance company involved. The battery was dead so I installed a new one. It cranks over, but will not start. Can anyone tell me if this thing needs a headlight plugged in to run? I'm thinking the bike would be more marketable if I could start it up for prospective purchasers. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, you need the headlight plugged in along with the bank angle sensor located in the headligh area. There's prolly a way to bypass it and fool the ecu but I don't know how. I know a search of "bypass bank angle" will turn up how to jumper the connection on the harness.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:33 PM

If the wiring is stock, it needs a headlight for the fuel pump to prime at least.. You probably didn't hear the fuel pump whine when you turned the key, correct? It is possible to get the bike to run without the headlight because I have managed it, don't ask me how because my wiring is so jacked up that I couldn't tell you (grounded most of the green wires) and when it is set up like this there is no way to get power to the high beams. Well there might be a way, but after blowing six fuses in ten minutes trying to find a way I gave up.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:46 AM

Safest bet would be to see if you can barrow one from a local F4i and see if it will crank it because without that tip over sensor it wont budge unless you bypass it.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:34 AM

Okay, I got the bike started. I was able to find a wire schematic online and figure out how the circuit worked. I just jumped the red/white wire with the green wire at the harness connector on the left side of the bike where it would plug into the headlight harness. I turned the key on and heard the fuel pump buzz, hit the start button and it fired right up. I went ahead and siphoned out the old gas just to be safe, (since it has been sitting since 2008), and took it for a short ride. It goes through all the gears fine.

Attached Thumbnails No start problem-imgp8071.jpg   No start problem-imgp8073.jpg