F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i track bike build

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i track bike build

Hey guys I just got started on a new project. I've been sick of removing mirrors and taping up lights. I'm going to try and start racing a little next year so figured I'd build a track bike. I had an extra f4i frame and motor laying around. #1 cylinder was blown in the block so I tore the whole engine down. The clutch basket exploded also so pulling the oil pan was a must at the least anyways. As for the motor I soda blasted the engine cases to clean them up. I inspected the trans for any signs of significant wear and it looked fine. I've begun reassembly on it. My tech at my shop got my main bearings mixed up so I had to mic the crank. The trans, shift drum, oil pump and crank are all back in. I'm going to use a set of one-off wossner high comp pistons and Carrillo rods for the bottom end. As for the head we ported the intake ports a little. We didn't polish them because you need the texture in there to create turbulence. Slight port work on the combustion chambers as well. Knocked out the valve guides because we're going all new on valve train. New OEM guides and spring seats, cbr zone cams, kibble white valve springs and retainers and custom made valves for us. That pretty much sums up the motor. The frame we've already painted a fluorescent green. We're going to be running an 06 600rr swingarm with an 07 1000rr rear shock. We're going to run a 1000rr front end on this bike too. Waiting on the swingarm, shock and subframe to arrive so paint work can be done on them. I will post pics for you guys as we go. There's definitely going to be some custom fab going into this bike. Hope you guys follow us and see what we can do.

Attached Thumbnails F4i track bike build-image.jpg  
Old 07-03-2013, 08:28 PM

Here's a couple pics of the engine build progress so far, the rear slick I picked up today as a freebie, our donated wheels that were also freebies. Look forward to seeing some feedback from you guys on the color and what you think about our build. We will be eliminating all lighting, mirrors, passenger pegs, PAIR valve, etc to shave some weight off the bike. It will be in full track fairings which we are going to paint a jet black with green metallic flake. Drippin Wet will be doing our graphics and number plates. If you guys ever need graphics, decals or number plates those guys doing amazing work so check them out if you're in the market. They are based out of PA. Anyways here's the pics so enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails F4i track bike build-trackbuild.jpg   F4i track bike build-trackbuild1.jpg   F4i track bike build-trackbuild2.jpg   F4i track bike build-trackbuild3.jpg  
Old 07-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

do you have any before and after photos of the engine? Want to clean up my engine and looking at different methods. I don't really want to powdercoat it because I like the bare metal look. Good luck though I'm interested in how that frame is going to look.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:46 PM

I do have before and after somewhere. Ill look them up and post them for ya.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:39 PM

CJardine here ya go man. They aren't the best pics but give you a general idea of how well soda blasting can clean them. The first two pics are before the soda blasting and the bottom three are after soda blasting.

Name:  f4ibuild6.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  101.1 KB

Name:  f4ibuild4.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  118.2 KB

Name:  f4ibuild15.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  112.1 KB

Name:  f4ibuild19.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  102.7 KB

Name:  f4ibuild16.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  114.0 KB

Old 07-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Please tell me the entire bike will be green! Personally, I'd rather put money into aftermarket fork internals and an aftermarket shock for a track bike, just using a different bikes suspension seems more showy then anything. Also, by going to the RR rear swingarm your going to loose your ability to shim it for rear suspension height adjustments unless you get an aftermarket shock. Just something to consider....

Old 07-05-2013, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Please tell me the entire bike will be green! Personally, I'd rather put money into aftermarket fork internals and an aftermarket shock for a track bike, just using a different bikes suspension seems more showy then anything. Also, by going to the RR rear swingarm your going to loose your ability to shim it for rear suspension height adjustments unless you get an aftermarket shock. Just something to consider....
Ok for your first question the frame, swingarm, and subframe will all be the green. The bodywork will be jet black with green metallic flake in it. The 1000rr front end will allow me more room for improvement to the suspension in the future. The rear end with the 1000rr shock will have an aftermarket spring to get me by for the time being. Ill eventually upgrade to an elka or ohlins. It was actually cheaper for me to go the 600rr swinger/1000rr shock route than to use F4i rear end. I scooped the swinger and shock for $40.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:47 PM

Well the 1000rr shock and subframe hardware arrived today. Just waiting for the swingarm and subframe to arrive. Once those two pieces arrive we can start prepping them for paint. They should arrive the beginning of the week. I do have a question for you F4i guys who have done the 600rr swinger conversion. What shock linkage did you use for it? 600rr or 1000rr linkage? I'm hoping by the weekend or over the weekend I will start getting this thing put together. Ill post pics of the progress this week.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:35 PM

Hey boredandstroked I found a 1000rr front end off an 06 and its been fully built with race tech internals including gold valves, rebound gold valves and .90kg springs. The set of forks only has about 8k miles on them and only 1k or so since they've been rebuilt. Race tech built the forks and they come with paperwork to prove it. It includes everything such as the triples, clip ons, front master, brake lines, calipers, etc. only thing not included is the front wheel. Can I use an F4i front wheel and put 1000rr rotors on it?

Old 07-07-2013, 07:51 PM

Here's a pic of the shock. Nothing special about a 1000rr shock just thought I'd post a pic of it.

Attached Thumbnails F4i track bike build-trackbuild4.jpg  

Quick Reply: F4i track bike build