CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   F4i Starts, won't maintain idle FI light comes on and dies (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/f4i-starts-wont-maintain-idle-fi-light-comes-dies-156870/)

donkeyf4i 11-30-2017 06:35 PM

F4i Starts, won't maintain idle FI light comes on and dies

Hey Guys,
Been a reader for a while and am after some advice. Bought a 2001 F4i a few months ago, I've had issue after issue with this thing, currently the bike starts but unless i'm giving it throttle it wont maintain idle and the FI light comes on and it shuts off. The green HISS light also comes on, but i forget if that normally comes on when the bike shuts off....
I replaced the FPR (was leaking fuel from the vacuum tube when i turned the key), but no improvement.
Currently suspecting maybe something electrical, but really have no idea.
I'd love to sort this myself, but am very tempted to take it somewhere. Any advice would be appreciated!

CaBaRet 12-02-2017 01:13 AM

Hi , does the throttle adjustment knob not manage to hold the rpm, have you got the service manual

donkeyf4i 12-02-2017 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet (Post 1309764)
Hi , does the throttle adjustment knob not manage to hold the rpm, have you got the service manual

Correct, and the bike dies instantly, no bogging/struggle. And yeah I have the service manual.

CaBaRet 12-02-2017 03:01 AM

Have you got any saved codes on the ECU

donkeyf4i 12-05-2017 06:20 AM

as in the FI error codes you get when you short the plug?, just did that before, i have the following:
8 (short)
9 (short)
1(long)- 1 (short)
1 (short)

So according to this:
A long blink = 10
A short blink = 1

CODES:
0 - bank angle sensor, ECM, PGM-FI fuse
1 - MAP sensor
2 - MAP sensor vacuum hoses, or sensor itself
7 - ECT sensor poorly connected or open circuit
8 - TP sensor, TP senspr wiring
9 - IAT sensor connection, or open wire
10 - Baro sensor, or connection, or wiring
11 - Vehicle speed sensor, or connection or wiring
12 - #1 injector connection, or faulty injector
13 - #2 injectior connection or faulty injector
14 - #1 connection or open/shorted circuit
15 - #2 connection or open/shorted circuit
18 - Cam pulse sensor, connection or loose sensor
19 - Ignition pulse sensor, connection or loose sensor
20 - faulty E-PROM in ECM.

I have issues with:
8 - TP sensor, TP sensor wiring
9 - IAT sensor connection, or open wire
11 - Vehicle speed sensor, or connection or wiring
1 - MAP sensor

does this sound about right?, the bike is pretty much a converted stunt bike with a few extra electronic bits... jet ski kill switch, speedo healer

Thanks for replying, i'm pretty new to this, done relatively simple bike maintenance but keen to learn

CaBaRet 12-05-2017 06:48 AM

Think what I'd do is reset the stored faults and look again what you have left, then you can get to grips with those, reset in the manual, then lets see what you got could be the TPS

74demon 12-05-2017 09:07 AM

the bike is pretty much a converted stunt bike with a few extra electronic bits... jet ski kill switch, speedo healer

This would have been good to know in the first post.

donkeyf4i 12-06-2017 06:02 AM

i followed these instructions to reset, i should of been more thorough looking though the manual, but found these online:
1. Turn ignition off.
2. Short the service connector.
3. Turn ignition on.
4. Remove jumper wire from the service connector.
5. The MIL lights for five seconds. While the light is on short the connector again. If you successfully erase the memory the MIL will turn off and then start blinking.

Followed those, now when i jump the cable i only get a solid FI light, tired a few times... doesn't seem right, might try the process again tomorrow

CaBaRet 12-06-2017 06:15 AM

Just got rid of the old faults that's all

donkeyf4i 12-08-2017 06:33 AM

ok cool, so now should i just check through the original faults?