CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   F4i sputtered then died (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/f4i-sputtered-then-died-151889/)

Congee 05-02-2014 10:42 PM

F4i sputtered then died

She's been running just fine, has less than 8000 miles on her. On the way home tonight, she started sputtering a couple blocks from home. A few seconds later the engine stopped running. The electrical stayed on, I coasted for a block then ran out of momentum coming up the hill to my home. After I came to a stop, I turned off the ignition, turned it back on then she started right up. I rode her the rest of the way home and shut her off once in my garage.

I'm guessing the issue is fuel related since I had enough juice to restart the bike. She only has less than 8k miles so I didn't think I needed to change the fuel filter or plugs yet.

I can't say for sure but I could swear I've noticed some yellow blinking coming from the FI light while riding now and then but by the time I look back down, everything is good; no FI light on. Perhaps it's the Erion mapping? I've been holding off on a custom map.

History:
-Power Commander 1000 miles ago but changed to Erion mapping 100 miles ago
-Removed O2 sensor, used resistor trick to fool FI sensor 1000 miles ago
-Delkevic Slip-on exhaust 1000 miles ago
-Changed CCTL around 2000 miles ago

Congee 05-02-2014 11:30 PM

After searching some more, seems like the issue may be caused by a bad Fuel Pressure Regulator?

jeremymik84 05-03-2014 01:05 PM

with so few many miles it would be hard to determine the cause, could be multiple things.. the map, fpr, voltage regulator... i would start with checking the regulator as mine did the same thing when the regulator went out on me. check the voltage at 5k rpm and then go from there..

theadamie 05-04-2014 12:38 PM

You sure you're not just out of gas? My reserve fuel indicator doesn't read very accurately so this happened to me one time. had 3/4 bars left and it started sputtering so I had to push it into a Taco Bell parking lot. But if you went very far at all after it shut down this probably isn't the case.

icedmind 05-04-2014 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Congee (Post 1273120)
After searching some more, seems like the issue may be caused by a bad Fuel Pressure Regulator?

In my experience with FPR, I was still able to ride it but it feels like it was on 2 cylinder and have rich symptoms. Do the FPR check and see if its the problem.
Fi light should be red?

Congee 05-04-2014 04:29 PM

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Definitely has fuel, I fill up at home with gas cans, I think the gas is OK as I've already run 5 gallons of the stuff. Although the symptoms were as if I had run out of fuel (ie. everything is running just fine then it felt like she was starving for fuel, a slight bog then dead.).

No FI light is on whatsoever after the she's started up.

I just finished checking the FPR and there's no fuel coming out of the vacuum side of the FPR so now it doesn't seem like that's the problem either. I also took a sniff around my motor oil cap and it didn't smell like gas either.

Perhaps it's the PC map?
I'm about to check electrical charging system with my multi-meter...

jeremymik84 05-04-2014 07:13 PM

check map and also check voltage from regulator and possibly stator