F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i in to a Sport Touring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i in to a Sport Touring?

Hey guys, it's been a while since i've been on these forums. I recently purchased an 07 Triumph Daytona 675, and have had a blast with it. I LOVE my CBR and have been very hesitant on putting it up for sale. I still want to keep it around for my track days, but more and more, the Daytona seems like a better candidate for that (pending i get the proper race set-up for it). I was considering getting a sport touring bike, and recently fell in love with the V-Strom, and Sprint.

The prices on CL around my area (Philadelphia), aren't very good, and they sell for a lot in these areas. I don't think i can afford spending another $5k on a bike with two already in my garage. So I'm starting to think what if i convert my F4i in to a sport-touring. Or close to it, to at least make it practical to go on LONG trips with.

Has there been any builds like this? Where would i start?

If i were to guess, i'd have to get my body a bit more upright, so definitely need higher bars, and probably have to do something with my rearset. How about luggage? Sprocket and chain set up? it would be great if someone has experience in this.

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2013, 03:59 PM
July 2008 ROTM

In my opinion, for the money you'd spend turning the F4i into an optimal tourer, you could use that money on top of the money you'd get selling the F4i and buy an actual tourer.

That's just me, though. I can't offer any insight into tourers since they're not my cup of tea. I can say that I would stick with a stock gear ratio, or maybe -1 or -2 in the rear if you really want to lower the RPMs a bit on the highway. I don't think you'd really want to go much lower than that.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:36 PM

ok ??? i may be wrong but my understanding is that the f4i is actually more of a touring bike due to the fact that it is more of a upright ride. and even getting into a corbin seat would increase the comfort even further... but my lack of experience may be viewed as ignorance.. but that was my understanding when i researched a f4i for a daily/long rider bike..... i don't experience discomfort at all while riding... am i wrong????

Old 01-16-2013, 08:10 PM

there is allways a vfr800.. i say convert your f4i, even though the seat does sit you pretty high on the bike.
as for rearsets, i find i like the english saddle style better, riding any cruser with my feet out front seems to put weight on my tailbone making it uncomfortable.
you should try to get some seat time on that issue, however i dont think you will find any hard cases for the f4i anymore.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

The F4i is already pretty touring competent vs most sport bikes.The clip ons are above the triple tree for gods sake! The rearsets are a non issue in my opinion. I've traveled all over including trips to Las Vegas and up the entire pacific coast highway in Cali and then back down again, and thats with the rearsets moved 1" up and 1" back from stock position. Stock gearing also works quite well although for mostly freeway riding I would consider -1 or 2 in the rear depending on what a gearing calculator said it would work out to.
For baggage just bring your girlfriend! lol that made me smile. But seriously there are a ton of options out there for saddlebags, tail bags, tank bags etc. I prefer to just load my large backpack and bungee it to the tail. Easy to take off and inside places when I stop. For long distance/extended trips the backpack plus some saddlebags would be best.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
The F4i is already pretty touring competent vs most sport bikes.The clip ons are above the triple tree for gods sake! The rearsets are a non issue in my opinion. I've traveled all over including trips to Las Vegas and up the entire pacific coast highway in Cali and then back down again, and thats with the rearsets moved 1" up and 1" back from stock position. Stock gearing also works quite well although for mostly freeway riding I would consider -1 or 2 in the rear depending on what a gearing calculator said it would work out to.
For baggage just bring your girlfriend! lol that made me smile. But seriously there are a ton of options out there for saddlebags, tail bags, tank bags etc. I prefer to just load my large backpack and bungee it to the tail. Easy to take off and inside places when I stop. For long distance/extended trips the backpack plus some saddlebags would be best.
Thank you for the insight, and as i do agree with the others. The F4i is definitely a less aggressive body position. I can easily compare the difference between with the Daytona 675 i have now. Still, i'm maybe a heavier guy, but long trips are still hurting me, and i need a more upright seating position for it to be effective on long distant trips.

You guys are welcome to view my FB photo album, where i took my bike for a weekend trip, from Philadelphia to Hawks nest (2 hr ride), then on a 6-8 hr ride the next day around Hawks Nest, then 3 hrs back (took long way).

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=6df3c162f8

At the end of that trip, my wrists hurt for DAYS, my back hurt for WEEKS. I'm searching for a V-Strom, not successful at it, but still. I'm thinking of selling her, and getting an ad ready. It's a shame, really love this bike too, but the cost to get her in to a Sport Touring (emphasis on the touring), sounds too expensive.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:07 AM

well there is a few bikes like the vstrom, such as the versys, concours, and bmw has one f800gt, yamaha has the fz8, fz6, the super tenere. some more sport than touring.
but all have a relaxed riding position, and like i said the honda vfr800, which one is for sale in your area, those used to be police motorcycles so hard cases should be easy to get.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Clip on risers are around $400-500 I think, the seat can be re-done by any upholstry shop for around $100. Add some bags and for around $1000 you can turn the F4i into a much better sport touring bike then the v-strom [faster, handles better, stops better, better looking, better sounding, reliability]. Personally I like reliability and suzuki doesn't have much compared to honda overall.

If we were talking about turning the 675 into a tourer I would understand. My girlfriend has a 09 675 with the triumph accesory gel seat and I still think its horrible for long distance.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 04-06 F4i are the ones with the less aggressive riding position. 01-03 they were extremely similar to the 600rr.

Some adjustable rearsets would prolly help

Old 01-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
The 04-06 F4i are the ones with the less aggressive riding position. 01-03 they were extremely similar to the 600rr.
I thought the only real difference between the early and late F4i models was the seat style. I haven't noticed any difference in position between my '02 and my son's '04 although I wasn't really paying attention to that for the times I've been on his.

Quick Reply: F4i in to a Sport Touring?