F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i shut off while riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation F4i shut off while riding

so about 3 weeks ago i was on the freeway and my bike just shut off i looked at my gauge and my speedo was reading 0 mph. i quickly pulled off the road and shifted back to neutral and my bike started up us fine.. Im an aircraft electrician so i figured there might be an open somewhere so i did a full once over of the wires and found no chaffing or broken wires.. well the same thing happened last night again i was on the freeway doing about 72 and it died again just like before my gauge indicated 0 mph and i pulled over and i was still going forward and i just pop started it and it didnt happen again.... has anyone ever had this problem?

Old 07-17-2009, 10:35 PM

Im going to BUMP this back to the top before it gets lost. Im interested on what the problem could be cause I dont want it happening to me, and im sure no one else does either. Sorry I cant help you, I've never run into this problem.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:32 AM

I had it happen to me yesterday! I was on route 50 and coming to a stop light and she just turned off...no warning just turned off...I have a BRAND new battery it was replaced about 1 month ago. If you come across any possible problem let me know. I just had a full run down done too by a shop that I know is a good shop and not some BS

Old 07-18-2009, 09:33 AM

wow real interesting unfortunate issue but I am kind of glad I am not the only one..

Old 07-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator
Old 07-18-2009, 04:42 PM

So maybe this can help define my problem a little better, idk about F 16 mech but my bike shut down on me like 5-6 times today on the interstate. Not to mention dark rain clouds surrounding me....Talk about drawing the shortest straw in life today. My FI like will kick on and the bike will shut off. Between 6-7k rpms i have a nasty sounding rattling noise (best defined as a weed eater off in the distance) << Really annoying... Also, between 6-7k rpms the bike rides really jerky almost as if its not getting enough fuel...kind of stutters and jerks on and off. and then shes shut down. If im accelerating quickly I dont have any problems...It shut down on me before also when coming to a stop. Any suggestions!?

Last edited by K7inne09; 07-18-2009 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Left out info
Old 07-19-2009, 03:10 AM

It's happened to me before. I recharged my battery and tightened up all the bolts I could think of that had to do with the battery. Everything worked fine after that. I don't know what solved it, but it got solved haha! Good luck to you, bro.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:00 AM

yeah idk ill try it idk why it would get all messed up between 6-7k rpms though you know?

Old 07-25-2009, 12:39 AM

okay i talked with some grease monkeys and heres what i found... My bike was crashed kinda hard once before pretty bad from the first owner, apparently a probable cause could be the tip sensor. The way it works is a ball berring is in a horseshoe or bowl and when the bike falls over the power and ground make a contact through the ball berring turring off the bike.. So if you crash real hard some times the cut off switch will get messed up and cause the bike to randomly shut off... Easy fix is to un-secure the switch.. i did it and i will post pictures soon... I just hope that was the problem.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:45 PM

check the harness going from the body to the lights/signals/tip sensor. Mine had a bad ground, and it seems as though it was shorted. I soldered an extra wire to a plug on the other end of the harness to eliminate the intermittent ground issue. a symptom of this would be that the lights would shut off, and the FI light comes on. no priming of the fuel pump as well. Ive heard of a couple of of F4i owners having the same issue.

Quick Reply: F4i shut off while riding